This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to listen to Shoutcast streams with Amarok

Amarok (for Karmic) lists only 24 internet radio streaming stations. Only one of these provides any pretense of classical music, and it is actually "Easy Listening". This is down from the list in Amarok for Jaunty which showed approximately 400 streams from Shoutcast. Many of those streams broadcast "serious" classical music, e.g. Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, and those cats. Shoutcast also lists several stations that play American popular music from the "Golden Age of Rock and Roll", the 1950's, 60's and 70's, which is my other musical preference.

It is possible to listen to Shoutcast with Realplayer, but I like Amarok. I finally figured out how to play Shoutcast streams with Amarok 2.2.0 under KDE 4.3.2, i.e. the standard Kubuntu Karmic setup.

Here's how:
    1) Navigate to the "Classic" Shoutcast Radio site using Firefox. This step is necessary because the "tune in" button of the station MUST lead to a "*.pls" address. This is not the case on the new "www.shoutcast.com" site.

2) Select the musical genre of your preference and click on the "tune in" button of your station of choice.

3) Firefox will ask you for the application to use when downloading a ".pls" file. Choose Amarok.

4) Firefox will ask you whether to always use this application for this type of file. Click Yes.

5) Repeat steps 1 through 4 when necessary. I actually keep three or four Shoutcast stations on my Amarok playlist at all times.

NOTE: I have absolutely no idea whether the removal of Shoutcast from Amarok was a practical matter or a question of ideological principal. In any case, I don't care.

(Edited by Snowhog to fix the "Clasic" Shoutcast Radio site hyperlink.)

Re: How to listen to Shoutcast streams with Amarok

Originally posted by askrieger
    NOTE: I have absolutely no idea whether the removal of Shoutcast from Amarok was a practical matter or a question of ideological principal. In any case, I don't care.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

With KDE 4.4.0, Amarok 2.2.0, and Konqueror, it's even easier.

I started by navigating to http://classic.shoutcast.com as linked by askrieger. From there, I selected the genre (techno), clicked on the Tune in! button for the station I wanted to listen to, and when the pop-up appeared, it offered me if I wanted to open with Amarok, which I acknowledged. Amarok started, and the station appeard in the playlist and started playing. Cool. 8)
      Attached Files
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Two additional comments:
        1) This tip also works with ".pls" files from sites other than Shoutcast. I have now added an Amarok entry to my local NPR talk radio station which does not use Shoutcast.

2) For a while, I thought that the omission of Shoutcast from Amarok in Karmic was prompted by some action on Shoutcast's part having to do with free/open software licensing. I now suspect that it is much simpler than that. If you look at /usr/bin/amarok in Jaunty, you find that it uses 7.7 MiB of storage with the full library of Shoutcast streams. On the other hand, after modification and the addition of five streams, my current Karmic /usr/bin/amarok file uses 50 KiB. I conclude that the change from Jaunty to Karmic was motivated by the need to fit the Kubuntu Karmic installation on one CD.

Comment

I opened amarok - tools - script manager - get more scripts - select "most downloaded" as filter - search for "shoutcast" - install
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Working...
          X