This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ekiga 3.2.6 for Kubuntu 9.10

Ekiga is a FOSS telephony over IP package, that works well in my experience. I prefer it to Skype, because it is FOSS (license-free and proprietary spyware-free). However, *buntu Karmic repos offer version 3.2.5, and on my system it crashes with coredump within 10 seconds of launching. I waited until after the release date to deal with it, on the chance that they would package the newer version. On my Debian Sid system, Ekiga ver. 3.2.6 works flawlessly, so I knew it is in the Sid repo. The question was ... could it be installed and used in Karmic?

So, I'm going to record today's little venture before I forget how I did it. This is 64-bit Karmic -- I don't have a 32-bit Karmic system so I don't know how or whether Ekiga 3.2.5 works on that architecture.

The Ekiga 3.2.6 package is found in the Debian Sid repo here:

http://packages.debian.org/unstable/ekiga

So, I downloaded the .deb file for my architecture (amd64).

I opened my favorite package manager GUI front-end and started scanning, comparing the listed Ekiga dependencies to my installed packages. I already had most of them installed. For the one or two that were not already installed, I just clicked "Mark" and "Apply" and then I had them. However, missing in action (and not available in the Karmic repo) were:

libpt2.6.5_2.6.5-1
    libopal3.6.6_3.6.6~dfsg-3
    libpt2.6.5-plugins_2.6.5-1

So I download the .deb files from the Sid repo, again for my architecture.

When I began to try to run sudo dpkg -i and install these debs, I learned they have a preferred sequence. So, do them in this order:

libopal3.6.6_3.6.6~dfsg-3_amd64.deb
    libpt2.6.5-plugins_2.6.5-1_amd64.deb
    libpt2.6.5_2.6.5-1_amd64.deb
    ekiga_3.2.6-1_amd64.deb

In this sequence, they installed without error.

Alt-F2 "ekiga", enter my account, set the sound devices, and I am now hooked up. 8)

Working...
X