Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HOWTO verify the Kubuntu ISO: BEFORE YOU BURN THE CD!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HOW TO verify the Kubuntu ISO (BEFORE YOU BURN YOUR CD!)

Ohhh ... duhhhh

Comment

Re: HOW TO verify the Kubuntu ISO (BEFORE YOU BURN YOUR CD!)

Here is a java based tool that a friend of mine developed:

http://20gp.com/index.php?option=com...d=46&Itemid=56

We've tested it on Windows, Mac, and Linux.

Be aware that the group signature is proprietary, since there is no known standard for such a signature.
      eMachines E520 notebook, 2ghz celeron, 3gb RAM, 160gb HDD, etc... woot.com special with no Microsoft tax running Kubuntu 9.04 beautifully

Comment

Re: HOWTO verify the Kubuntu ISO: BEFORE YOU BURN THE CD!

I added a link to GreyGeek's forum topic How to md5sum check the burned ISO CD. It explains one way to verify the CD after burning, which is the best way to rule out defective media and errors during burning.

His method works just fine, but I wonder why he does not just use the installer CD's built in integrity check? (Would have liked to ask in his thread, but he has disallowed regular users from posting there.)
        Welcome newbies!
        Verify the ISO
        Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Originally posted by Telengard
          His method works just fine, but I wonder why he does not just use the installer CD's built in integrity check?
          I use K3b, but others may in fact be using a Windows CD burner. I'm pretty sure that any burner software has the feature to verify the integrity of the burned CD. K3b does it automatically. If the particular burner software some is using doesn't do so by default, they should look in the configuration settings for it.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
            I'm pretty sure that any burner software has the feature to verify the integrity of the burned CD.
            I suppose that if you survey the entire breadth of Windows burning software, you will find some that do not. No specific program comes to mind, but I would not rule it out.

Windows users who want a reliable, free burning program should look into ImgBurn. I used it a great deal and found it to be excellent.
            Welcome newbies!
            Verify the ISO
            Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

In my pre-linux days, I also used ImgBurn. I found it to be very reliable, and an excellent free program.
              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Telengard
                His method works just fine, but I wonder why he does not just use the installer CD's built in integrity check? (Would have liked to ask in his thread, but he has disallowed regular users from posting there.)
                Because one doesn't have to reboot with the CD in the drive in order to test it. That way, if the check fails, they can try another burn. When they get a good burn on a CD then they can boot into it.

As far as disallowing regular users from posting I wasn't aware that such an option was available and didn't deliberately set it. I'll have to investigate what happened and how to make it available for additional comments. Thanks for letting me know!
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Currently your thread is located in the top level Documentation board. Note that I as a regular user cannot create a new topic there.

Perhaps moving the thread into the How To's forum will enable regular users to reply your thread. Note that regular users can create topics and reply in there.

I am only guessing though. Since I don't have moderator access there is no way for me to try it.
                  Welcome newbies!
                  Verify the ISO
                  Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

mmm... I created it as a new topic on the "How To" forum. Wonder how it got moved? I'll move it.
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                      mmm... I created it as a new topic on the "How To" forum. Wonder how it got moved? I'll move it.
                      It worked, and I was able to reply this time. Conversation continues there
                      Welcome newbies!
                      Verify the ISO
                      Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Working...
                      X