This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting those missing application manuals

Everyone knows that quite a few KDE application manuals have never been written, and the quality of the writing on some that have been written is, to put it gently, not the most superlative. Part of the problem, as I see it, is that obtaining good documentation for an application requires three different kinds of knowledge:

1. Specific and detailed knowledge of how the application works.

2. Knowledge of the conventions for writing KDE documentation.

3. Knowledge of how to write clear and understandable documents.

The difficulty is that there may be people around who have one or two of these but not the third.

I've done a great deal of technical writing, and I believe the documents I produce are of excellent quality. I also know that there are often calls for help in this area. I wonder if there's any way I can put my abilities to use here, given that I don't usually have Type 1 or Type 2 knowledge. More generally, is there some way that documentation teams might combine different abilities?

Re: Getting those missing application manuals

> Get Involved >> Documentation Team
    Introduction

The Documentation Team is a group of community volunteers responsible for writing, editing and updating the system documentation that ships with the Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu and Edubuntu desktop operating systems...

With the Jaunty there was an annoucement at the alpha stage > JauntyJackalope/Alpha3/Kubuntu
    Kubuntu Documentation

We have decided to bring back Kubuntu Documentation in hope that people will look at KHelpCenter for Kubuntu documentation, and then flip out as they notice a bunch of KDE 3 information. This flipping out will hopefully lead them to help update Kubuntu Documentation.

If you are interested in helping out, please contact:...
    and with the alpha 6:
    Kubuntu Documentation

We have reintroduced Kubuntu Documentation in the hopes that people use KHelpCenter. We need volunteers to help update the information from KDE 3- to KDE 4-based applications.

If you are interested in helping out, please contact:

I think that there are always room for volunteers... (Karmic is at the alpha stage).
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

KDE3 docs vs. KDE4 docs

Actually, I'm using the KDE 3.5 remix with Jaunty, so for the time being I'd only be interested in working on KDE3 documentation. That may, and probably will, change in the future.

Comment

Re: Getting those missing application manuals

> Re: howto use kde3 in intrepid? "madscientist159":
        I am also looking for other developers to help maintain KDE3.5.10 for Intrepid
        I think that this is still valid with the Jaunty/Karmic... > Welcome to Pearson Computing's KDE3.5 Repository for Ubuntu Intrepid and Above!
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Working...
        X