X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[How-to:] linking activities to desktop

OK not my How-to I'm just forwarding it from KDE forum:
    Originally posted by einar' pid='24731' dateline='1229020660
    If you have KDE 4.2 (trunk, or the betas) you may be interested in the fact that you can actually link a specific activity to a virtual desktop. This has been in the works and was also on the Feature Plan.

Notice: This feature is experimental and has no GUI option for it. It involves editing configuration files, so you may want to make backups before screwing your Plasma configuration.

That said, ensure that Plasma is not running: if you are in KDE, this can be accomplished by opening a terminal and writing

Code:
    kquitapp plasma
    That will shut Plasma down nicely, and of course your desktop will disappear (but the terminal will still be open)

Now, edit the file $.kde/share/config/plasmarc. Inside, locate the [General] section, if present or add it. There, write

Code:
    perVirtualDesktopViews=true
    Save the file and restart Plasma.
    Before doing this you should really back-up the plasmarc, as it tends to break.
    I had to add the [General] section and I guess that this or some other thing is breaking things constantly.
    So be prepared that every X restart will spawn new activities.
    If you have the [General] in your plasmarc, please post it's content here so I can see what's missing at my...
    I'm magnet for errors, problems and bugs...

Re: [How-to:] linking activities to desktop

Would you kindly provide the actual link to this? That way, others can read it in it's entirety and make there own decisions as to whether or not to give it a try.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
      Would you kindly provide the actual link to this? That way, others can read it in it's entirety and make there own decisions as to whether or not to give it a try.
      but off course, here it is:
      http://forum.kde.org/linking-activit....html#pid27082
      I'm magnet for errors, problems and bugs...

Comment

Just for the record, starting with KDE 4.3 this can be configured trivially with a couple clicks:

http://www.itnewstoday.com/?p=782

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano
          Just for the record, starting with KDE 4.3 this can be configured trivially with a couple clicks:

http://www.itnewstoday.com/?p=782
          And in KDE 4.4, the setting (along with many other new and old plasma settings) has been moved to systemsettings (where they belong IMO)

Comment

... and the KDE (plasma) documentation can be found > Plasma FAQ:
            Plasma is one of the key technologies of KDE 4 (also known as the "Pillars of KDE"), and one of the most visible to users. As Plasma treats the user interface differently than a traditional desktop, there may be confusion as to what Plasma is, what it does, and how to perform common tasks.

This document attempts to address these problems by providing answers to the most common questions...
            Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
            1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
            2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

So why don't I have this capability? Running Jaunty 9.04 w/KDE 4.3.2. There is no 'configure plasma' when I right-click on the upper corner cashew.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                So why don't I have this capability? Running Jaunty 9.04 w/KDE 4.3.2. There is no 'configure plasma' when I right-click on the upper corner cashew.
                You need to "zoom out" to see the menu

Comment

Okay, now I see it. Thank you.

Comment

Sorta still 'on topic.' When I zoom out on the cashew, my running GKrellM monitor disappears from the desktop. It doesn't reappear when zooming back in. GKrellM is however, still running (top shows it). Why is this? I've resorted to killing it via top, and then restarting it from K Menu. Is there another way to get the running app back on the desktop? Should it be disappearing in the first place?

Edit: Fixed. All I had to do was check the Set window type to be a dock or panel in GKrellM Properties. Having done that, it shows its self in the Task Manager. Now, when I zoom out and back, GKrellM appears just like any other running application.

Comment

What has been everyone's experience with this functionality?

I tried it on 9.10 final (KDE 4.3.2), and found it to be a bit wonky, and caused the desktop to respond really slowly. I didn't really play around with it too much; I just disabled it again, and the desktop returned to its normal, zippy, stable self.

I've not grabbed the ppa for 4.3.3 (should I?) yet, so I don't know if this functionality is improved any in the new release. I'll look forward to the KDE devs getting the bugs/kinks ironed out, as I very much look forward to using it.

Comment

Originally posted by chipbennett
                        What has been everyone's experience with this functionality?

I tried it on 9.10 final (KDE 4.3.2), and found it to be a bit wonky, and caused the desktop to respond really slowly. I didn't really play around with it too much; I just disabled it again, and the desktop returned to its normal, zippy, stable self.

I've not grabbed the ppa for 4.3.3 (should I?) yet, so I don't know if this functionality is improved any in the new release. I'll look forward to the KDE devs getting the bugs/kinks ironed out, as I very much look forward to using it.
                        It works just fine on my Dell Mini 9, not really a power horse, both with desktop effects enabled and disabled. I have them disabled to get some more graphics performance for games and video. Ah, and it worked ok both with 4.3.2 and 4.3.3. You seem to have some issue in your installation, I am not sure upgrading to the ppa will help, but I doubt it could hurt

Comment

Working...
                        X