Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to record BBC Radio streams from BBC I-Player for mp3 players Improved speed

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to record BBC Radio streams from BBC I-Player for mp3 players

fine
    did that
    not too experienced at bin files
    sorted in the end
    did redo the flash player install
    then the iplayer desktop download worked
    then the air programme worked
    then the test programme...nigella xmas (yawn) started....and is downloading as I type...new to me..do not know what it is downloading...let me see....aha an mp4 file..in a video folder, home and in a repository...quite cool this...has it worked for you to download yet...if not stay in touch toad via pm
    We will sort it together
    Running Kubuntu Karmic Koala&nbsp; with KDE 4.3 at home<br /><br />Kubuntu user 24342<br /><br />Running Dell Inspiron 530 Dual Core 3ghz<br /><br />and also running Kubuntu on a Lenovo thinkpad using a live pen drive<br /><br />Still no Microsoft here!

Comment

There is a great little improvement to the above at the end of this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...69#post6417869

It's a small world, innit!
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

had a look at that. Seen the up the bandwidth argument before but heard results that the quality is ruined.

I reminds me of when we used to copy tapes years ago and you could do high speed dubbing but it was always twice as fast and half as good.

May it will work. I had better give it a go to test it and report back. Why do people use bin bash scripts like that. Does it make it easier then?

i just scroll through my konsole commands and update the rtsp thing.

I would like to see what the beeb do next. I would love to be able to download the radio as easy as the tv as there is more call as I can take it with me. I only have my pc or tv to watch tv on so it makes little sense at the mo to download tv I guess unless I miss a load
        Running Kubuntu Karmic Koala&nbsp; with KDE 4.3 at home<br /><br />Kubuntu user 24342<br /><br />Running Dell Inspiron 530 Dual Core 3ghz<br /><br />and also running Kubuntu on a Lenovo thinkpad using a live pen drive<br /><br />Still no Microsoft here!

Comment

Not so sure about the usefulness of the script myself. You could prettify it with kdialog I suppose but I'm happy with just inputting the command - script=overkill. But that is just me.

Re telly - suppose you could download and transfer it to something like a portable player. Good to shut up the kids while driving to grandma's for Christmas
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Re: How to record BBC Radio streams from BBC I-Player for mp3 players Improved speed

Ok edited the basic script to speed up after suggestions from the ubuntu board who followed what we did here...( fancy dancy kubuntu comes first again!)

Works tonnes faster with no loss in quality for me ...

Let me know any problems

Comment

Re: How to record BBC Radio streams from BBC I-Player for mp3 players Improved speed

Hi andybleaden

I just registered, only to thank you for your helpful work!!!

Ok, I'd like to add a thing: I was able to shorten the long, long adress you mentioned

rtsp://rm-acl.bbc.co.uk:554/radio3coyopa/radio_3_-_tuesday_2315.ra?timestamp=1228271295&pid=b00fs4pm &BBC-UID=342932fd17889cae882969d011ec4a5ec443feec0020a1 09db2b431277fd59de&SSO2-UID=

this might be be reduced to
              rtsp://rm-acl.bbc.co.uk:554/radio3coyopa/radio_3_-_tuesday_2315.ra

I am not sure about that particular one, but at least I managed today to reduce this:
              rtsp://rmv8.bbc.net.uk:554/radio3coyopa/radio_3_-_sunday_2000.ra?timestamp=1232320047&pid=b00gnrd0& BBC-UID=44c9c5faab45b0035a1367bf21c30956f282818f80f011 676ae4d1a04126c92a&SSO2-UID=

to
              rtsp://rmv8.bbc.net.uk:554/radio3coyopa/radio_3_-_sunday_2000.ra

(I'm not uk-located, so it is starting with rmv8 I think...)

and it worked - amazingly fast (about 2 minutes to download - well I did not stop it, but that's how I felt about it )

I first tried it with bbc7, there you have episodes coming each day at the same time, so I managed to download a series just by changing the day of the week in the string, and NOT first searching for the rtsp address by starting a player for each episode (sure, ONCE for the first I did it) !

So perhaps this rule works: having the rtsp-address for the station, one only needs to replace the weekday and the starting time, and you are ready to go - at least with the stations and programms that offer a "listen again"...

(first post, sorry when it grew long...)

ragosti..

Comment

Wow

Thanks for the positive feedback which makes it really worthwhile.

I will give the shortened address a try from home ( here in the UK ) as well because it is a pain to check the full address everytime whereas a programme that I listen to is on tuesday/wednesday/thursday everyweek (ish) and this should make it much easier to sort.

On another note I have also been bashing out a decent fast, higher quality cli command for lame to convert the wav files to mp3 at 320.

Is there a way that Mplayer could record them directly as mp3s do you think?

I would be interested in what others know about mplayer.

Comment

On another matter I found this mentioned over on the ubuntu forums which looks interesting

http://linuxcentre.net/getiplayer/

Anyone else use this at all....at first glance it looked promising but the comments show it has other issues that make it perhaps not so straiht forward.....anyone else use it?

Comment

http://linuxcentre.net/getiplayer/

Just tried it. Very interesting. Not very user friendly but can get by. If you copy/paste/amend the items from the information page it makes better sense ( http://linuxcentre.net/getiplayer/documentation/ )

Managed to download bits from TV (ITV) and radio (Radio2) although the sound quality on radio is not great at the moment.

(Someone on this forum might enjoy the first episodes of Catweazle from ITV...)
                    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
                    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

(Someone on this forum might enjoy the first episodes of Catweazle from ITV...)
                      Whoever gave you that idea? Preposterous.

Anyway, I'd vote Monster Raving Loony if you told me how to get them

Comment

...if you told me how to get them...
                        1) Get the .deb here: http://linuxcentre.net/getiplayer/download/
                        2) Install following .deb instructions here: http://linuxcentre.net/getiplayer/installation/
                        3) Issue the command: get_iplayer --get 123

(where 123 is the number of the program e.g. get_iplayer --get 100109 for Episode One of Catweazle)

That easy. Takes a while to download.

100101: itv, Catweazle - Episode seven, TV Classics Children's TV, TV Classics Children's TV,
                        100102: itv, Catweazle - Episode eight, TV Classics Children's TV, TV Classics Children's TV,
                        100103: itv, Catweazle - Episode nine, TV Classics Children's TV, TV Classics Children's TV,
                        100104: itv, Catweazle - Episode 11, TV Classics Children's TV, TV Classics Children's TV,
                        100105: itv, Catweazle - Episode 12, TV Classics Children's TV, TV Classics Children's TV,
                        100106: itv, Catweazle - Episode 13, TV Classics Children's TV, TV Classics Children's TV,
                        100107: itv, Catweazle - Episode six, TV Classics Children's TV, TV Classics Children's TV,
                        100108: itv, Catweazle - Episode 10, TV Classics Children's TV, TV Classics Children's TV,
                        100109: itv, Catweazle - Episode one, TV Classics Children's TV, TV Classics Children's TV,
                        100110: itv, Catweazle - Episode two, TV Classics Children's TV, TV Classics Children's TV,
                        100111: itv, Catweazle - Episode three, TV Classics Children's TV, TV Classics Children's TV,
                        100112: itv, Catweazle - Episode four, TV Classics Children's TV, TV Classics Children's TV,
                        100113: itv, Catweazle - Episode five, TV Classics Children's TV, TV Classics Children's TV,
                        "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

the cat and the weazle united on toad's machine - you are a bleeding marvel, arochester. I owe you a pint or two

Comment

I used the python script 'cos I haven't got a deb system on here at the mo. Soo close!!! But no tea... yet

[toad@archie ~]$perl get_iplayer --get 100101
                            get_iplayer v1.25, Copyright (C) 2009 Phil Lewis
                            This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details use --warranty.
                            This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain
                            conditions; use --conditions for details.

Matches:
                            100101: itv, Catweazle - Episode eight, TV Classics Children's TV, TV Classics Children's TV,

INFO: 1 Matching Programmes
                            INFO: Attempting to Download itv: Catweazle - Episode eight
                            INFO: mms modes will be tried
                            INFO: Attempting to download using mms mode
                            WARNING: No programme stream URLs were found, skipping
                            [toad@archie ~]$

Comment

THE NUMBERS CHANGE!!!

What was 100101 (Episode Seven) on my list, became 100101 (Episode Eight) in your attempted download and is currently 1000101(Episode 11).

To get a list of ITV Classics use the command: get_iplayer --type=itv (the instructions include apostrophes but that seems to be wrong)

Alternatively you can download ALL the Catweazle episodes with the command: get_iplayer --type=itv 'Catweazle' --get

Comment

Hm, I'm officially damned

Code:
                                [toad@archie ~]$python get_iplayer --type=itv 'Catweazle' --get
                                 File "get_iplayer", line 26
                                  package main;
                                        ^
                                SyntaxError: invalid syntax
                                [toad@archie ~]$

Comment

Working...
                                X