Kubuntu org Doc links broken

I was looking for Kubuntu documentation at:

http://www.kubuntu.org/doc/7.10/newt...u/C/index.html

but found that the following links are dead or wrong:

KDE Users' Manual
    KDE Quickstart Guide
    A Visual Guide to KDE

Are these guides stored elsewhere?
    &quot;The best way to predict the future is to invent it.&quot; - Alan Kay&nbsp; www.tiltmouse.com<br /><br />Thanks<br />Steve

Re: Kubuntu org Doc links broken

You can always try kmenu->help
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Appears that the KDE Users' Manual (from the link) is working - the others are not.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks

Don't have one installed at the moment, so I was looking to read before installing.

The user's manual says:

KPPP is a dialer and front end for pppd, allowing for interactive script generation and network setup.

As atitle.
        &quot;The best way to predict the future is to invent it.&quot; - Alan Kay&nbsp; www.tiltmouse.com<br /><br />Thanks<br />Steve

Comment

Originally posted by ElegantSol
          Thanks

Don't have one installed at the moment, so I was looking to read before installing.

The user's manual says:

KPPP is a dialer and front end for pppd, allowing for interactive script generation and network setup.

As atitle.

?
          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Don't have a Kubuntu system installed at the moment, so I was looking to read before installing it.

on the page:

http://www.kubuntu.org/doc/7.10/newt...u/C/index.html

If you are new to Kubuntu and/or KDE:

KDE Users' Manual

The KDE Users' Manual link brings up:

which is about communications' settings, not a general user manual.

Comment

Confirmed -- they've hosed up the link.

Try this one:

http://docs.kde.org/stable/en/kdebas...ide/index.html

Comment

Thanks for the redirection.

I did not notice that they were pointing to kde.org because they look so much alike.\

It would be nice if kubuntu.org added simple navigation links to Home etc. like kde.org.

I guess I will find the other missing documents at kde.org also.

Comment

Originally posted by ElegantSol

I guess I will find the other missing documents at kde.org also.
                  Yes, however, note that KDE 4.01 is released, and those docs are all at the KDE 3 level, as far as I can tell. The basic desktop elements are well-described there, but I wouldn't invest a lot of time memorizing the detailed menu functions of each KDE 3 app, as it's all rather different in KDE 4. Not that you can't run KDE 3.5 for the next 100 years if you wish ....

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations.

http://docs.kde.org/ and I selected the User Guide (English) or the FAQ (English).
                    Both of which are broken also. I’m not having much luck with KDE.

BTW I selected the defaults which are for version 4.

Comment

Concur. It'd be my guess, that due to the fast development of KDE 4.x and the upgrade to 3.5.9, that many of the documentation links are being rewritten.

Comment

I've emailed the site Webmaster about the bad documentation links. We'll see what comes of it.

Comment

I agree that they are updating, but I then switched to kde3 :

http://docs.kde.org/index.php?language=en&branch=kde3

and the FAQ works, but the User Guide:

http://docs.kde.org/development/en/k...ide/index.html

is also a broken link even though it is the current version.

I do not know what to say. This has to frustrate new users trying to learn KDE.

Comment

If you have the khelpcenter application installed, you can access the Kubuntu Documents, KDE User's Manual, Application Manuals and more. See picture below.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Thats a good idea, but as per my second post of this series, I have not yet installed it. I was just looking for some good documentation to read before I started.

If KDE developers are that passionate about their product, then they should be using all of their resources to enlist a large following of users. This is certainly not the way to do it.

Comment

Working...
                              X