This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How To: Access Local printer (parallel, serial, USB) in Printer Wizard

I had forgotten that in my Gutsy installation, I had not yet set up my Panasonic laser printer. Okay, no big deal. But, in the KDE Printer Wizard, the option for Local printer (parallel, serial, USB) was grayed out and not selectable. Hmm says I. Why is that? In my Feisty installation, this printer is installed and working. It is connected via USB.

Okay, I checked Adept Manager and searched on guten and yup, the foomatic-db-gutenprint package was installed. So what was the problem? I noticed another package right above the installed foomatic-db-gutenprint package: cupsys-driver-gutenprint which was not installed. The description states: "This package includes a CUPS driver based on Gutenprint." As I am using cups for print control, I said "okay, let's install this." Did. Did a system shutdown. Turned on my printer and let it report "ready" then turned the PC back on and booted into Gutsy.

Went back into the Printer Wizard utility and viola! The Local printer (parallel, serial, USB) option was no longer grayed out. Setting up my laser printer was a breeze after that.

So, if you are having problems with the KDE Printer Wizard not allowing you to select the Local printer (parallel, serial, USB) option, install the cupsys-driver-gutenprint package. It did the trick for me.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Re: How To: Access Local printer (parallel, serial, USB) in Printer Wizard

I have the same problem plus the fact that "fax/modem serial printer" is grayed out too. upsys-driver-gutenprint was already installed when the problem appeared so I purged and reinstalled the package and reboot. Still no joy
    However, when everything was working just fine I noticed that CUPS was using a local conf file instead of the
    "Server localhost:631" that is using right now.

Comment

I have the exact same problem. I can add a local printer on Fiesty but the local printer box is gray on the 8.04 machine that is running x86_64. Can anyone help with this?

Ray

Comment

Hi
        I think you will find that 8.04 Kubuntu finds the printer automatically.
        Make sure it is turned on when you boot up.
        You should see it when you open KMenu-System settings-printers.
        I had to play about in administrator mode with the properties tab, I had to change the driver as I have a Eson D78 and I have to use the D68 driver.
        Lurch

Comment

Check out this link:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3089184.0

In the second post of tomstrong you will find the modifications he made to the file "permissions.rules" .

In Hardy, this file is located under /etc/udev/rules.d

and the filename is "40-permissions.rules .

I made the modifications suggested and, after four weeks of not printing, the printer suddenly works like a charm!

I hope, you will have luck too!

Comment

Working...
          X