This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sound prob on Fujitsu Siemens Amilo 1451G with UBUNTU 7.10

Hi Let me begin by saying that I am a newbie.
    I started out in UBUNTU (Gutsy) and experienced sound problems
    1) sound only when headphones were plugged in
    2) reinstalled Ubuntu 7.10 and now no sound whatsoever and the sound icon barred. clicking on it gives me:
    The volume control did not find any elements and/or devices to control. This means either that you don't have the right GStreamer plugins installed, or that you don't have a sound card configured.
    3)went into the synaptic packg mgr and down loaded all the gstream plugins...in fact anything that said gstream.
    The sound card is Realtek ALC880
    4) Added everything for the alsa driver and with: /etc/init.d/alssound restart ...I got:
    Shutting down sound driver: /usr/sbin/alsactl: save_state:1251: No soundcards found...
    ERROR: Removing 'snd_pcm_oss': Operation not permitted
    ERROR: Module snd_mixer_oss is in use by snd_pcm_oss
    ERROR: Module snd_pcm is in use by snd_pcm_oss
    ERROR: Removing 'snd_seq_dummy': Operation not permitted
    ERROR: Removing 'snd_seq_oss': Operation not permitted
    ERROR: Removing 'snd_seq_midi': Operation not permitted
    ERROR: Module snd_rawmidi is in use by snd_seq_midi
    ERROR: Module snd_seq_midi_event is in use by snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
    ERROR: Module snd_seq is in use by snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_mid i_event
    ERROR: Module snd_timer is in use by snd_pcm,snd_seq
    ERROR: Module snd_seq_device is in use by snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi ,snd_seq
    ERROR: Module snd is in use by snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_seq_dummy,sn d_seq_oss,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_de vice
    done
    ALSA driver is already running.
    3) installed Kubuntu in order to take advantage of KDE that seems to work better
    than Gnome...(consensus overheard)

running aplay -v in the terminal gives me:

ALSA lib confmisc.c:560snd_determine_driver) could not open control for card 0
    ALSA lib conf.c:3477_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such file or directory
    ALSA lib confmisc.c:392snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
    ALSA lib conf.c:3477_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such file or directory
    ALSA lib confmisc.c:955snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
    ALSA lib conf.c:3477_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
    ALSA lib conf.c:3946snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
    ALSA lib pcm.c:2090snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
    aplay: main:545: audio open error: No such file or directory

and in case this is helpful, because I dont Yet know how to interpret this:

lsmod | grep snd gave and stills gives me:

snd_pcm_oss 43008 0
    snd_mixer_oss 17920 1 snd_pcm_oss
    snd_pcm 80644 1 snd_pcm_oss
    snd_seq_dummy 4996 0
    snd_seq_oss 35456 0
    snd_seq_midi 9728 0
    snd_rawmidi 26112 1 snd_seq_midi
    snd_seq_midi_event 8704 2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
    snd_seq 54256 6 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_mid i_event
    snd_timer 24580 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
    snd_seq_device 9740 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi ,snd_seq
    snd 56708 9 snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_seq_dummy,sn d_seq_oss,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_de vice
    soundcore 8800 1 snd
    snd_page_alloc 11656 1 snd_pcm

So...my soundcard is not configured??

Any help would be greatly appreciated....if anyone needs more info just send me a message and I'll run any command that could further the investigation....

THANKS
    H.

Re: sound prob on Fujitsu Siemens Amilo 1451G with UBUNTU 7.10

Bummer -- some of these new sound systems are really giving *buntu a hard time.

Did you try to follow this guide?:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449

Comment

yes I practically know that one by heart.

lspci -v:

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
      Subsystem: Fujitsu Siemens Computer GmbH Unknown device 1094
      Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 10
      Memory at ffef8000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
      Capabilities: <access denied>

sudo modprobe snd-:
      FATAL: Module snd_ not found.

if it were as easy as following the instructions in Lord Raiden's thread, I would have solved this mess a month ago....no no, I need stronger medicine....
      thanks for responding though...

Comment

Sounds like you've already tried all the obvious things. If you haven't already tried it with these modules added to /etc/modules, you might do the experiment:

snd-intel8x0 snd-pcm-oss

Comment

how do I input that?
          snd-intel8x0 snd-pcm-oss all by itself get's on old bash's nerves: command not found

Comment

new development (remember I'm now in KUBUNTU) the machine asks me to run:
            asoundconf set-default-card
            but this gives me an error and the machine again asks me to run: dpkg --configure -a to fix the error. However, there's a problem with Timidity:
            Setting up timidity (2.13.2-15ubuntu1) ...
            * Starting timidity * Starting TiMidity++ ALSA midi emulation... ALSA lib confmisc.c:560snd_determine_driver) could not open control for card 0
            ALSA lib conf.c:3477_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such file or directory
            ALSA lib conf.c:3477_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such file or directory
            ALSA lib conf.c:3477_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
            ALSA lib conf.c:3946snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
            [fail]
            invoke-rc.d: initscript timidity, action "start" failed.
            dpkg: error processing timidity (--configure):
            subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
            Errors were encountered while processing:
            timidity

when I input asoundconf list
            I get: name of available soundcards:
            with nothing listed.
            Similarly, aplay --list-devices
            aplay: device_list:204: no soundcards found...

So the machine can't find my sound card. that's all I've been able to determine up to now....
            I have installed the current realtek audiopack for linux
            so the question is what's my next move

thanks again to anyone who knows how to do this...

Comment

Originally posted by hanout
              how do I input that?
              snd-intel8x0 snd-pcm-oss all by itself get's on old bash's nerves: command not found
              Sorry, I didn't know how much you knew about editing Linux files.

Do Alt-F2 and enter "kdesu kate /etc/modules" with no quote marks. This will open the Kate editor in Super User mode, with the text file /etc/modules open for editing. Just position the cursor at the left edge of the first empty line at the bottom of the text, and enter "snd-intel8x0 snd-pcm-oss" with no quote marks (and no typos).

Then click "file > save" and exit Kate.

Shutdown/Reboot your system, and open the Konsole and enter "aplay -l" to see if anything is any better.

If there's no improvement, repeat the above process for opening the file with Kate, and then delete that line and re-save it.

I'll cross my fingers ...

Comment

well I found Kate alright and did the new incantation 3 times just in case.... rebooted, but aplay is still playing the same old tune:
                aplay: device_list:204: no soundcards found...

this bug is really insidious.... :P
                stay with me Mr Dibl! I refuse to give up....

Comment

Originally posted by hanout

I refuse to give up....
                  Keep doing that, and you will win!

Try it again, but this time put ONLY snd-intel8x0 on the last line of /etc/modules.

After rebooting, let's check the output of
                  Code:
                  aplay -l
                  Code:
                  lspci -v
                  and
                  Code:
                  sudo modprobe snd-

Comment

by the way there seems to be a problem with Timidity as well
                    could the 2 problems be linked or could the Timidity problem serve as a clue to the overall problem?

E: timidity: subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
                    E: timidity-interfaces-extra: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured

thanks again

Comment

I'm not familiar with timidity, but I just opened Adept Manager and read about it. I don't see anything that would suggest that it blocks your system from recognizing your hardware -- it says it supports ALSA and OSS. I assume it doesn't work, so you could remove it without any near-term damage, and then when your sound system is working you could install it again.

Comment

well I went back into the synaptic manager to see if I had overlooked some gstream file
                        or something else that might help

but my soundcard is still undetectable
                        aplay -v:
                        ALSA lib confmisc.c:672snd_func_card_driver) cannot find card 'macro'
                        ALSA lib conf.c:3477_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such device
                        ALSA lib conf.c:3477_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such device
                        ALSA lib conf.c:3477_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such device
                        ALSA lib conf.c:3946snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such device
                        aplay: main:545: audio open error: No such device

I wont list the other command results because they haven't changed.
                        Do I have to change something in the BIOS?
                        Or try to reinstall the OS all over again from scratch?

Comment

Have you tried:

Code:
                          sudo dpkg-reconfigure alsa-base

Comment

That's a good idea, MoonRise!

Also, I would be interested to know whether sound works with the Kubuntu Live CD (or any other Live CD).

Comment

In Konsole, sudo dpkg-reconfigure alsa-base gets a fresh blank space,
                              as if it's pretending it didn't hear the command.
                              Am I missing a parameter or something?
                              thx
                              C

Comment

Working...
                              X