This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HOWTO: Get commercial DVD playback in Kaffeine

PLEASE NOTE: I used Feisty (32-bit) when I wrote this HOWTO, but it also works for Gutsy (32-bit) and Hardy (32-bit), all three of which I have installed and use in a triple-boot setup on my laptop.

As a new user to Kubuntu back in March this year, I was really frustrated when I discovered that Kaffeine wouldn't play my DVDs! I struggled with it for several days until I finally got it figured out.

For those who venture out of the dark waters of Windoze and have installed Kubuntu Feisty Fawn and find that they can't play their DVDs in Kaffeine, take heart. The solution is simple, and the steps to get it done straight forward and short. Here is what you should do.

Notice: I used (and still use) Adept Manager, but you can use the CLI if desired. If you use the CLI, to avoid typos, copy and paste the indicated commands.

STEPS

1. Open Adept Manager

2. Install the following package If not already added::
    libdvdread3

3. Add the needed repositories if not already added, according to your version of *ubuntu, per the following instructions:

Kubuntu 7.04 "Feisty Fawn":
    sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/feisty.list -O document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list

Kubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy Gibbon":
    sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/gutsy.list -O document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list

Kubuntu 8.04 "Hardy Heron":
    sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/hardy.list -O document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list

Kubuntu 8.10 "Intrepid Ibex":
    sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/intrepid.list -O document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list

Kubuntu 9.04 "Jaunty Jackalope":
    sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/jaunty.list -O document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list

4. Add the GPG Key:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get update

You may be asked to accept this package even though it cannot be authenticated. This is normal; typing "Yes" means you trust Medibuntu.

5. Click on Fetch Updates

6. Install the following packags if not already installed:
    libdvdcss2
    w32codecs
    libxine1-all-plugins (this is an empty package that marks for installation the following packages)
    libxine1-console
    libxine1-ffmpeg
    libxine1-gnome
    libxine1-misc-plugins
    libxine1-x

Result:
    Kaffeine opens/plays DVDs!

Updated 20 October 2007: Reason - The location of, and instructions for, the Medibuntu repositories for the needed Codecs was changed. Step 3 and 4 reflect this change.

Updated 05 April 2008: Reason - Updated for use with Hardy Heron KDE 3.5.9
    Updated 01 June 2008: Reason - Verified using Hardy Heron KDE 4 and the default Dragon Player video player.

Updated 19 July 2008: Reason - Updated to reflect new meta-package libxine1-all-plugins which replaced libxine1-plugins (at least in Hardy - so if you are running Gutsy or Feisty, and this new meta-package isn't listed, then continue to use libxine1-plugins)
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Re: HOWTO: Get commercial DVD playback in Kaffeine

Great guide and worked for me and I've only been using Linux for 1 day!

Thanks Snowhog!

Comment

Thank you! This worked flawlessly when I properly added the repos. Question; Is libxine1-gnome required even if I don't use the Gnome desktop environment? Or can I safely remove this again?

Comment

Keep it.

Comment

One thing to keep in mind: just because you are running KDE as you desktop environment, doesn't mean that an application/package that has Gnome as part of it's name, means it is only for Gnome. Remember, Gnome came before KDE (I'm pretty sure ), so there are going to be packages required in KDE that are also required in Gnome. One package for both environments. It wouldn't make management sense to have two separately named packages that were completely identical.

Comment

Side note:

This is from the installed documentation on your system via Konqueror:

help:/kubuntu/musicvideophotos/video.html#dvdplayback

DVD Playback
            Warning
            The legal status of this library is not fully clear. In some countries it is possible that the use of this library to play or copy DVDs is not permitted by law. Verify that you are within your rights in using it.
            The movie players provided in Kubuntu are capable of reading DVDs that are not encrypted. However, most commercial DVDs are encrypted with CSS (Content Scrambling System) and currently, for legal reasons, it is not possible to include support for these DVDs in Kubuntu. However, it is possible to enable support as follows:
            Install the libdvdread3 package.
            Open Konsole by going to KMenu → System → Konsole Terminal Program. Type the following command into a terminal prompt followed by pressing the Enter key (if asked for a password, enter your user password and press the Enter key):
            sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/examples/install-css.sh
            Not sure if totally necessary but it is what it is.

eriefisher
            ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

The legality issue, along with the fact that the required library isn't 'open source' is the reason that it isn't included in the U.S. distributions - other countries may not have this restriction. But, the end user can obtain and install the library (and other non-free codecs) necessary to play DVDs, mp3s, etc.

Comment

I was actually referring to the install script at the end of the quote. I don't know if it makes a difference or not?

sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/examples/install-css.sh

eriefisher

Comment

Isn't required if one obtains the packages via Adept Manager or apt-get. You would have to follow instructions if one downloaded the specific file and then had to move it into the specified location, as root permissions are required.

Comment

Originally posted by eriefisher

How did you get to that via Konqueror? Yes, I pasted in what you show above, but if one didn't know about that, how do you get Konqueror to display the application help manuals?

Comment

Follow-up question: After adding the Medibuntu repositories earlier today, the Adept update notifier now lists over twenty new updates (for a list see the screenshot here). In addition to Kaffeine and a few other of the multimedia applications that I have installed, there are over a dozen of new packages, all of them libraries, that are currently un-installed and that are marked for installation. I looked at some of them, but I don't quite understand why they will be installed (or why I would need them). Are these part of the Medibuntu core system that are not installed with Kubuntu? Or part of the Medibuntu version of Kaffeine/etc?

Should I just remove the Medibuntu repositories or go ahead and install the packages?

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                        Originally posted by eriefisher

How did you get to that via Konqueror? Yes, I pasted in what you show above, but if one didn't know about that, how do you get Konqueror to display the application help manuals?
                        If you have not changed the default page that was in Konqueror when you installed it will be under "Kubuntu Documentation". If the home page was changed you can type "about:konqueror" in the address bar to access it.

eriefisher

Comment

I went the vlc way and uninstalled kaffeine, was I wrong to do so
                          every day is a gift

Comment

No "right" or "wrong" rather, a choice. If VLC works for you and your satisfied, that's all that matters.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                              Remember, Gnome came before KDE (I'm pretty sure ),
                              Erm, hate to have to point out, especially after such a good HOW TO, but KDE actually predates Gnome Gnome was developed because at the time the QT libraries were not open source. They have since been made so but Gnome was started so that people had a choice of a truly open source 'heavyweight' (as opposed to the others at the time) desktop.

Sorry about that and no offence is meant by pointing it out

Comment

Working...
                              X