X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How-To run your Windows partition in VMware

This is the basis of this how-to:

http://advicesource.org/ubuntu/Run_E...re_player.html

I am NOT going to rewrite it all because I think the info in that link is quite easy to follow. However, I have just complete this project and I would like to point out some possible problems and issues you may encounter.

1- I would only use this guide if I did NOT own an actual Windows install disc. All I have is the restore CD's burned from a Compaq/hp box. These discs will not allow you to install them on any other machine including VMware.

2- You will probably have to reactivate you Windows install. I had to call MS to get new activation numbers. No problem.

3- DO NOT do anything until you have read the complete guide. And then read it again. This will hopefully clear up any questions for later.

4- Make sure you are using the correct disc (/dev/hd?). Don,t worry about the partition number. This is for the parted command and the windows.vmdk file. If you don't the boot information will be wrong and vmplayer will look in the wrong place.

5- One issue I had was "no permission to use disk". This should be corrected by adding your user name to the "disk group" however it did not fix the problem for me. It will work with <ALT+F2>kdesu vmplayer to run as root and avoid the error.

6- The windows.vmx file also contains other info such as memsize,usb,cd drive etc. Edit it for your needs.

7- Repeat 1- I would NOT use this guide if I had an actual stand alone Windows CD. It would be much simpler to do a straight install if I did.

I tried this with VMplayer(available in the repos) but I'm sure it will work with VMserver just as well. I'm sure I forgot to put something in so I will add to it as I remember it.

eriefisher

~$sudo make me a sandwich

Re: How-To run your Windows partition in VMware

Great How-To.

Just one detail for people who are "scared" of reactivating their windows.

When you call them (MS) just tell them you had to change your HDD and reinstall.

Cheers
    Fintan
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

The call was an automated recording. I just answered a few questions, received some new numbers and all was good. No problem.

eriefisher

Comment

Will it be able to activate over the network at all?

Comment

You can try but It will probably detect a hardware change and not accept your numbers. Dealing with MS was pretty painless.

eriefisher

Comment

Will it be able to activate over the network at all?

If you haven't reinstalled XP more than three times it should work fine. After that you have to make the call :P
            HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I have managed to install the VMserver, but when i try to run the vmware-serverd, i get the following

Code:
              Can't open perl script "/usr/lib/vmware/serverd/init.pl": No such file or directory
              VMServerd Panic: Could not initialize Perl script handler.
              You said that you could run your existing windows install through vmware server, are the steps very different or is it basically the same.

Thanks for the info

Comment

Just an update -> the original link is no longer active, but you can find the same instructions here: Running a Windows Partition in VMware.
                Asus G1S-X3:
                Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Working...
                X