This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

xserver will not startup..

Hello all, I was running Kubuntu 5.10, not the final release, this morning I ran apt-upgrade and now X will not load, I tried dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg, stll nothing, anyone have this problem?

P.S. I tried other kernels that were installed, but same problem..

Joao

Re: xserver will not startup..

Tried "startx"

I've never had problems like this :S

Comment

which card you using ? did you check restarting the /etc/init.d/kdm service ? Once I face a similar problem, that time X will start only after restarting kdm. later I figured out that this was behaving like that because of buggy nvidia driver.
      cheers!
      -=|From the desk of|=-
      «•´`•.(*•.¸(`•.¸ ¸.•´)¸.•*).•´`•»
      «•´¨*•.¸¸whoiam55.¸¸.•*¨`•»
      «•´`•.(¸.•´(¸.•* *•.¸)`•.¸).•´`•»
      Reg. Linux User # 400637

Comment

I tried "startx", but that didn't do anything,
        I will try restarting KDM and see what happens, I am running an HP ZD8115 Notebook with an ATI Card..

Shame, it was running so well and everything..

Thanks for yor help, will let you know if it works..

Comment

Just finish upgrading couple of my office boxs, and guess what I face same problem like you, it's looks like dist-upgrade is not able to install kdm properly while upgrading. so installed kdm, sudo apt-get install kdm and then type sudo /etc/init.d/kdm start, it started the X server, I was happy that I fixed it, but after I supplied my username and password it show "no display manager found, no terminal emulator found etc.. etc.." I'm still trying to fix it, will update you soon.
          cheers!
          -=|From the desk of|=-
          Reg. Linux User # 400637

Comment

whoami55, thanks for the info, unfortunetly I just deleted the OS and am going to reinstall with the new release and see how it goes.. Luckily, I just use it to play around with Linux, this is one reason I do not use Linux alone, not yet. The strides that have been made in the last five years since I have been using linux, is amazing, I feel that linux is getting very close to being a viable Desktop replacement for the average joe.

Joao

Comment

Well installing Kubuntu from scratch with the new release of 5.10 stable, is not so stable, same problem, it sucks to go backwards on an upgrade.... I guess you get what you paid for..

Comment

Well, I seem to have figured it out, I am typing from within KDE at this very moment!!!

A quick look at /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, revealed that there was no refresh rates in the file, te server was going bonkers because there was no settings for refresh rates!

Here is what I did, I logged in under "Safe Mode" typed sudo pico /etc/X11/xorg.conf
                this will allow you to see if there are any settings for the refresh rates or not, just arrow up or down, if there is none, then exit out of there by typing CTRL+X.

Then run sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-org

Run through the usual items, but when you get to the Monitor, do not auto detect, do it manually, on mine it showed the default rates, I just entered through the promps, when it asked if i wanted to save the changes, say YES..
                type "startx" and see if it works..

I noticed that over 160 people viewd this thread, there must be alot more that have this problem..

Please post if this works for you too..

Joao

Comment

Originally posted by JoaoMachado
                  A quick look at /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, revealed that there was no refresh rates in the file, te server was going bonkers because there was no settings for refresh rates!
                  When you run sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg and come to the monitor selection page, there are 3 options it ask you to configure your monitor, Simple, Medium, Advance. If you choose simple, it just ask you very simple questions like size of you monitor. If you choose Medium, it will ask you like what resolution/refresh rate you want. if you choose advance it will ask you advance things like Horizontal and vertical refresh rate etc... It will save you /etc/X11/xorg.conf file according to the option you choose here. If you choose simple, it won't save any refresh rate settings. If you can't understand what I'm talking about, try this, you will understand how this work.

ps:sorry for bad english, I'm not a native english speaker.
                  cheers!
                  -=|From the desk of|=-
                  Reg. Linux User # 400637

Comment

Yes, I forgot that point, use advanced, not simple.....Major point..

Joao

Shamless plug for my web site http://www.catholictuner.com

Comment

Running 5.10 on an iMac G3 600mgz and am having issues with both gdm and kdm. If I can get to a command prompt on tty1 and login delete /tmp/.X0-lock then I can start the xserver.

Chuck

Comment

Try this command insted of just dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg.

dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg.

It has worked for me on the issue.

--Shaun

Comment

Working...
                        X