This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installation problem

Hello everyone I have a issue installing Kubuntu 16.04, I have a old Dell latitude 610, I wanted to try and install Kubuntu on this machine

When I try the live desktop everything works great, but when I try to install it, it just hangs

I can get all the way to were I have to create the user and password then when I click install it just stays on the installation screen and will not install it

Any ideas what I can do to get it install it

I did try a few older versions without luck

Thanks so much
    Last edited by Robgoss; Jun 20, 2017, 11:02 AM.

Could you try a minimal Ubuntu install and then add kubuntu-desktop?
    Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

What are the specifications of the laptop? How much RAM does it have? What graphics card/chip does it have?
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
        Could you try a minimal Ubuntu install and then add kubuntu-desktop?
        Can you recommend a minimal ISO for Kubuntu, I'm not really sure how it will work

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          What are the specifications of the laptop? How much RAM does it have? What graphics card/chip does it have?
          I'm not sure what graphic card this Dell has I'll have to check, it does have 2GB of ram if that helps

Comment

I was using a Dell Latitude 610 in 2005, three years before I retired, or 12 years ago!

If yours is stock it has:
            http://www.dell.com/downloads/global...it_d610_en.pdf
            Code:
            [COLOR=#666666][FONT=arial][B]Dell Latitude D610 Specs:[/B][/FONT][/COLOR]
            [LIST][*][B]Intel Pentium M 750 (1.86GHz)[/B][*][B]512MB DDR2, 400MHz[/B][*][B]ATI Radeon X300 64MB[/B][*][B]60GB Hard Drive, 5400RPM[/B][*][B]14.1″ SXGA+ (1400×1050) LCD[/B][*][B]8X DVD+/-RW Combo Drive[/B][*][B]Windows XP Pro[/B][*][B]Intel Pro Wireless 2200 (b/g protocols)[/B][/LIST]
            [FONT=inherit]
            [/FONT]
            The Pentium M 868 processor, AFAIK, isn't supported, which isn't good news, and is why I was stunned when you said it ran the Live Desktop "ok".

I suspect that when you tried to install it on the hard drive Microsoft's "Trusted Platform Module (TPM)" tripped you up. It was Microsoft's first attempt to prevent the installation of Linux on computers containing Windows, which was followed later by UEFI. Can you disable TPM in the BIOS?

I ran the D610 (and the D620) in dual boot mode when I was running Mandriva, IIRC.

Last edited by GreyGeek; Jun 20, 2017, 01:20 PM.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

GreyGeek, yes the live Kubuntu desktop just fine. I will try what you suggested

Thanks so much

Comment

Originally posted by Robgoss View Post
                Can you recommend a minimal ISO for Kubuntu, I'm not really sure how it will work
                See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...tion/MinimalCD. I don't think it relies on Ubiquity, which I read somewhere can be problematic for some users trying to install Kubuntu 16.04. The minimal CD has a text-based installer. After you've done the minimal install, you can then install whichever DE you like as the link describes.
                Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

So I disabled TPM and then tried to install Ubuntu but not luck at all. The strange thing about this Laptop I can only install Fedora 25 on it and for the most part it run ok but I'm not really a Fedora user
                  Last edited by Robgoss; Jun 21, 2017, 11:15 AM.

Comment

So I disabled TPM and then tried to install Ubuntu but not luck at all. The strange thing about this Laptop I can only install Fedora 25 on it and for the most part it run ok but I'm not really a Fedora user
                    It looks like my suspicions were wrong.

I've had experience with an install haning at a specific percentage value (one time 86% and another time 95%, IIRC) and in both cases the problem was a defective ISO download. From then on I always check the checksum of the downloaded ISO and after I burn it I boot it and choose the option to check the burned ISO checksum on the USB stick (or CD).

Did your burned LiveUSB (?) checksum check out OK?
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                      It looks like my suspicions were wrong.

I've had experience with an install haning at a specific percentage value (one time 86% and another time 95%, IIRC) and in both cases the problem was a defective ISO download. From then on I always check the checksum of the downloaded ISO and after I burn it I boot it and choose the option to check the burned ISO checksum on the USB stick (or CD).

Did your burned LiveUSB (?) checksum check out OK?
                      Yes everything checks out OK, I'm not sure why I can't install any other OS on this machine besides Fedora
                      Last edited by Robgoss; Jun 22, 2017, 05:41 AM.

Comment

Yes everything checks out OK, I'm not sure what I can't install any other OS on this machine besides Fedora
                        Another possibility is a boundary problem on your HD. IF you are installing Kubuntu as the only OS on your HD then you might consider using the KDE partition manager (partitionmanager) to re-partition your HD.

Comment

At this point anything is worth a try. Thanks so much

Comment

Working...
                          X