This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange Windows behavaoir

After some self-inflicted shenanigans, I had to re-install Kubuntu 18.04. Now when I minimize a window it disappears. I thought they were closing but I now realize they were just hidden and I ended up with a bunch of windows open that I wasn't aware of. I can't find a setting that affects this.

2) On my bottom panel I have added several icons for programs I use most frequently. It used to be when I opened a program, another icon would appear on the right side of my panel, letting me know which programs were open. that doesn't happen any more.

Any ideas.
    Last edited by SpecialEd; Nov 04, 2018, 10:13 PM.
    If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

With the program launched (and visible), right-click its icon on the Panel and select to have it 'pinned'. As to it disappearing from the Panel when you minimize the running app, that sounds like you are missing the Task Manager widget on the Panel.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      With the program launched (and visible), right-click its icon on the Panel and select to have it 'pinned'. As to it disappearing from the Panel when you minimize the running app, that sounds like you are missing the Task Manager widget on the Panel.
      Adding the Task Manager to my panel helped... sortof. My panel is icons only but the Task Manager entries show descriptions which take up a lot of space. (I never had to add Task Manager before).

Prior to my last install, it made a difference whether I chose to add an entry to my panel by "Pin to Taskbar" or "Add to Panel." One choice --I think it was "Add to Panel" gave me what I wanted, a list of frequently used icons to the left and open programs to the right. I tried both ways and neither worked.

Thanks,

Comment

The open programs icon/descriptions took up too much space and I found it distracting. I added another panel and built it from scratch using "Add to Panel (Widget)" again and all is sorted the way I like it. Just delete the old panel and move the new one into place.

Comment

For future reference.
          Pin to taskbar is a function of the task manager it adds a the icon to the task manager and the icon will be act as a launcher for the application. Depending on what task widget your using one of the following will happen. The "task manager" widget will create a task entry when the application is launched and the shortcut will be hidden while the application is open. The "icon only task manager" turns the pinned shortcut into the task for the application when running. As a

Adds to panel adds a shortcut (as a widget) to your panel. And your task manager will show it as normal when its running. The shortcut widget will not disappear when the application is started.
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
            The open programs icon/descriptions took up too much space and I found it distracting. I added another panel and built it from scratch using "Add to Panel (Widget)" again and all is sorted the way I like it. Just delete the old panel and move the new one into place.
            What I do, on big screens is use two taskbars.

On the left, one that has the K menu and system notifier, and an icons only task manager.

Then a second taksbar that is at the bottom. I set it to autohide, center and not expand. In this one I pin my apps that are frequently launched.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Comment

Flexibility!
              What’s not to love?
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
              X