X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2nd HD not showing in 3D Software but i see it in Dolphin

Hi all,

I installed Kubuntu 18.04 and it is been very nice working with such a fast OS. I'm working in Houdini which is a 3D software and for some reason i don't see my 2nd HD in it, only the primary HD. I can see the 2nd HD in the Kubuntu environment, under the devices section of Dolphin but i'm not sure how to make it available in Houdini.

Mounting it to the Home or Usr folder would work? I'm new to Linux so trying to solve the problems as they show up.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Have you ever tried Blender? It's in the repository.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Yes, i have. I tried it in 2004/2005. I'm really comfortable with Houdini these days and it is very fast in Linux. This thing with the HD, i bet it is something simple. I'm inclined to try the "mount" option so i can see the 2nd HD under the "Home" folder for instance, but now that i have a stable system, just wanted to double check before going ahead and screw things up.

Do you think the "mount" command work for this purpose?
      Last edited by Dr Diamante; Jun 14, 2018, 02:31 PM.

Comment

if you open the 2nd drive in dolphin, it will be mounted in /media/username/some-dirname, so it should then be visible in other programs.
        So yes, it does need to be mounted for the actual file system to be usable/visible. You can mount it manually, or adding it to your fstab, but opening it from Dolphin is perfectly fine, too.

You can also go into System Settings' Removable Devices and enable it to be automounted at login.

Comment

Hey claydoh, after reading your post, it made a lot of sense. Now i can see the HD which is indeed, inside the "/media/username/some-dirname" path. As with other OSs, once inside a folder, clicking on the folder name on the top area of the dolphin window will give the user the folder path. That is why i was confused, thought that the HD was under the /device/ path but there is no such path.

Thank you so much or the help! This forum is great and working in Kubuntu 18.04 has been a great experience.

Comment

Working...
          X