This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A tale of two minutes...

Yesterday, at 9:30AM, the Allo tech dropped in and installed the fiber optic cable/wifi modem and a 120 channel TV option, which was free because of the rental contract where we live. I browsed all 120 channels and didn't see anything I hadn't already seen in years past when I had a cable TV connection.

I then resumed the task of visiting the 70 or so websites I am logged into and changing my Spectrum email address to my new Allo email address. I did this while I still had access to my Spectrum account. I used Allo's webmail page to respond to verification requests.

This morning it was time to set up my Allo email account in KMail. The POP3 server was a snap and I easily download test emails sent from the webmail, but the smtp portion refused to send up any test mails. At 5:30PM I had a tech from Allo call on my support ticket and he gave me the exact settings for both POP3 and SMTP. My settings were right. There are several web pages tht describe the problem of KMail refusing to send up emails and not give any error msgs. Most involved using akonadicontrol and digging deep into the bowels of KMail and Akonadi. This is the FIRST time I was unable to complete the account setup in KMail, after using it for most of the 19 years I've been using Linux. The only part of the PIM package that I used was KMail. The rest, to me, was just excess detritus. It looks like all of the PIM package is going to get uninstalled.

Having spent most of the day putzing with KMail I decided it was time to look at alternatives. Claws and Sylpheed appealed to me the most and I decided to try Sylpheed first because it was written in C, was very fast, and had a good track record at autoconfiguration with a minimal of information.

I installed it from Neon's repository and fired it up. It took me to the configuration dialog the very first thing. It asked for my display name, my email address and my POP3 and SMTP server URLs, and my email password. Mouse Down event ... Boom! done ... Mouse Up event. From install to completion of the setting up the email account was less than 2 minutes.

Saying Sylpheed is FAST is an understatement. And, one must add "Easy" to "Fast".
    Part is the speed is my 100Mb fiber optic connection, but I've never had an email client download email so fast. Even KMail was a tortoise on the 100Mb connection. Importing the CVS Address book file from KMail was lightening fast as well.

Sylpheed is a nice email client. I may play with Claws and Evolution as well, just to compare.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

A deal breaker for some is the limited handling of HTML, and inability to compose HTML messages. (I hate HTML for e-mail, much prefer plain text.)
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Ya, the HTML problem gave me pause, but after using it for several hours I don't mind. If a block of writing is present I click on it and it opens in my PaleMoon browser.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Also note that Kube - touted as Kmail's eventual replacement, is nearing Beta stage. Not that that fact helps you right now, but now may be good time to pay a bit more attention to it again.

"Kube is a modern communication and collaboration client built with QtQuick on top of a high performance, low resource usage core. It provides online and offline access to all your mail, contacts, calendars, notes, todo's and more. With a strong focus on usability, the team works with designers and UX experts from the ground up, to build a product that is not only visually appealing but also a joy to use."
        We are an active project spearheaded by Kolab Systems in collaboration with the KDE community currently in early development. We will initially focus on email only to ensure that the core features of the application are in place before going forward. Our projection is that by spring 2017 we will have reached alpha-state and as an open source project we want to ensure that developers interested in creating a collaboration and communication client have full access and possibility to be a part of it.
        Official site: https://kube.kde.org/
        Development Blog: https://phabricator.kde.org/source/k...story/develop/
        ​"Keep it between the ditches"
        K*Digest Blog
        K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. I will definitely keep an eye on it.

After playing around for half a day trying to get KMail smtp working, and then seeing Sylpheed do it automatically in seconds, and knowing both are open source, it just goes to show that Not Invented Here keeps a lot of GPL projects from borrowing the best of other GPL projects.

I hope the Kube developers aren’t infected with NIH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X