This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latte dock

This is the app which was mentioned in another thread.

I have literally tried every single docker available when I was on the dev team of another OS which never actually made it out of the gate.

Some didn't work and some were positively festooned with features which sometimes worked and sometimes did not.

i have actually got CAIRO and a couple of others to work in Plasma but they were...dunno... obtrusive ...dunno...maybe I had just "gotten out of the mode" of using a dock.

But...I always wondered why there was no dedicated dock for plasm. So, when I saw mention of Latte Dock in another thread I went to the site and downloaded it but was informed that there is a newer version in the repos so I installed from the repos.

It is...very simple...but has some nice animation configurations etc.
    It is "themed" to go along with present plasmoids etc.
    One can have multiple iterations on a desktop or activity.
    One can have it on all desktops/activities or just one.
    One adds an app to it by dragging from the menu ( one has to use the standard menu, not the big full screen one).
    One can restrict the app to the dock on that desktop / activity, one has to do it on the desired activity when it is dragged, right clicking provides the option.
    There is an "autohide" function and there are a couple of other strange options which I have not explored. If anyone wants to comment on such please so do.

One kind of app that it will NOT dock is an app that is running under WINE, at least I could not get it to "stick" upon trying to drag the app from the menu.

I tend to have clean desktops but for things like wordprocessors on the writing activity I have a couple of links on the desktop.

Latte dock has replaced those and I plan to use it in the future.

Like I said, if anyone has comments or howtos like how to get a WINE app to work please post.

woodlikesLattedocksmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Aug 01, 2017, 08:54 PM.

Adding to the sweetness, now you can have a different Latte dock for each Activity
    https://plus.google.com/+JamesCain/posts/QUQg5suCAwV

As far as Wine apps go, IDK as I don't use Wine. Might be something to file a bug on. Luckily, the app seems to be under pretty heavy development at the moment.
    ​"Keep it between the ditches"
    K*Digest Blog
    K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

latte-dock is getting very good, though I still stick with the standard task manager as I still prefer the old fashioned rectangular task item with text label.

latte-dock 0.6.2 is in backports PPA for 16.04 and 17.04 currently.

I also have the git master builds (0.6.86 = upcoming v 0.7) in a PPA here for 17.04 and 17.10 with the new features mentioned. (Please note the warnings on that ppa, and that the 17.10 build for artful requires adding Qt 5.9 landing PPA, so please only do that if you are prepared to help bugfix pre-landing Qt)
      On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Thanks dequire, nice desktop!
        also
        Thanks Acheron, but since this is a semi-work machine I'll prolly put that one off. thanks though!

woodthanksyoubothsmoke

Comment

I never noticed if Latte Dock was available via the usual "add new widget" --> "Download New Widgets" option before I searched for it in the repository and added it via Muon. I then clicked right mouse and added it to the desktop. In the upper left corner it was empty, transparent and difficult to find. I dragged it to the bottom center of my display, after resizing my panel to 1/4th its size and moving the panel to the right side. I then fired up several applications I use the most and pinned them. I logged out a couple times and logged back in. The Latte Dock appeared and worked fine.

Last night I powered down. This morning, after the desktop appeared, I noticed that the Latte Dock was missing!

I went to the KGear menu and left clicked "Latte" in the "Utilities" menu. The Latte Dock appeared at the bottom of the screen and also had a clock pre-pinned. When I powered down and rebooted the Latte Dock appeared on my desktop where I left it.

I also noticed that not every application can be pinned to the Dock. Any application that presents itself in a hires screen that doesn't allow minimization cannot be pinned. Stellarium is an example, Dock shows xscreen:0. Also, I've noticed that java startup programs that call main programs cannot be pinned. Minecraft is an example.

Add to that WINE programs. I have a PLC dev tool that runs find and I can even pin it in the Dock, but when I close it the icon in the Dock goes away even though I pinned it.
          Last edited by GreyGeek; Mar 03, 2018, 01:22 PM.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

After experimenting with Latte Dock I have removed it from my system. I opened muon and purged it. Regardless, it stayed on my desktop until I logged out and logged back in.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

@GreyGeek, have you taken a second look at Latte Dock? I've just installed it on KDE neon 18.04.
              Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
                @GreyGeek, have you taken a second look at Latte Dock? I've just installed it on KDE neon 18.04.
                Na. Even if it worked perfectly I would not use it because I found the Dock approach to be less than desirable for the way I use my laptop.

Comment

I tried Latte Dock on KDE Neon the the day and set it up with all the apps I want. On next reboot it was back to default and I couldn't be bothered to go all through that again so I removed it. The "boss" is running Plank Dock on her Linux Mint Cinnamon machine and it is far simpler than Latte and just works (TM) Personally, I prefer to use Icons Only Task Manager on the Panel and pin the apps I use most. Works for me and keeps the desktop clean.
                  Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Ditto ...

Comment

Again, what he said...

Click image for larger version

Name:	EntireScreen.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	644002
                      If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Although I HIGHLY recommend Latte Dock I just don't use it.

I use a few widgets but now use the big black menu system that covers the whole screen or use the pop up work bar.

woody

Comment

Latte is my standard launcher on Kubuntu for a good 3 months now, and I really like it!
                          What I don’t like is setup and configuration. The workflow is so non intuitive to me that whenever I want to make a change it takes me ages to figure out how to get things done.

My son has got it on his laptop as well and we spend quite some time recently to figure out why the right click to add apps wasn’t working. Turned out that even though he did a regular apt install, some libraries were missing, no error, no nothing, but right click not working and hence no way to configure. We couldnt even figure out what version we were running and if an update would have helped...but once it’s running and setup it’s pretty cool :-)

Comment

Working...
                          X