This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONFIGURATION] Mouse pointer sticks

Havejust got a new laptop toshiba satellite c55-c-184. Have installedkubuntu 64 v17.04 and it is working well except for a few smallteething troubles.
    Mainone is when I move my mouse, sometimes it responds immediately, Othertimes, the pointer seems to stick for a few seconds before it moves. It is very annoying! Any idea what I can do about this?

I'm wondering if you've turned off the touchpad? If not, that could be the problem. System Settings --> Input Devices --> Touchpad --> Enable/disable Touchpad, and check the box that disables the touchpad when the mouse is plugged in. If that is not the problem then let's look at your video stuff.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Slow mouse response.

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      I'm wondering if you've turned off the touchpad? If not, that could be the problem. System Settings --> Input Devices --> Touchpad --> Enable/disable Touchpad, and check the box that disables the touchpad when the mouse is plugged in. If that is not the problem then let's look at your video stuff.
      Thanks very much for the suggestion. I tried it, but unfortunately, it did not solve the problem.

Comment

I was having both pointer and keyboard issues about 2 month ago. Mouse pointer jumped very erratic and key response lagged. As soon as I replaced the mouse with one from work it went away. Later I purchased a $10 mouse at the mall. No more issue. My laptop is Toshiba L55-B5338 15" with Intel i5-core 8GB RAM. I run dual boot Kubuntu 16.04 / 14.04 LTS on it. Hope you can figure it out.

Comment

Simon, you read my mind! One thing I would do first, however, is to replace the mouse battery. My Logitech M325 mouse is supposed to run 18 months on a single AA battery. Apparently it does, because I forgot about the battery in it. I began having mouse problems a couple years ago, before the battery icon in the system tray reported *accurately* the charge remaining in the mouse pad battery. Since I started running Neon I check the mouse battery charge setting when every once in a while.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I recently had to plug my laptop into an extension chord. When I did, my touch pad got all wonky. Jumping around, erratic behavior, etc. Unplug it and the touch pad works normally. I tried a wireless mouse and it was unaffected. As touch pads work on conductance and capacitance, I can only assume I'm getting a less than satisfactorily even current flow through the extension chord.
            If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Did your extension cord have three prongs or two? If it has only two plugs (missing the ground plug) the chassis "ground" of your laptop may have been floating electrically and you were an electron sink. Your mouse is connected remotely and touching it doesn't drain electrons from your laptop.

Comment

The mouse I am currently using is a Microsoft wired USB mouse, not a wireless one, so it doesn't need a battery.

Comment

"I tried a wireless mouse and it was unaffected". If you unplug your wired mouse is your touchpad touchy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

"I tried a wireless mouse and it was unaffected". If you unplug your wired mouse is your touchpad touchy?

I don't usually use a mouse and only connected the wireless mouse as a test. (I forgot how much nicer it is to use a real mouse instead of a touch pad) I have never tried a wired mouse. I did however try a shorter, newer extension chord but have the same erratic behavior. I tried disconnecting the lamp from the same power strip, to no avail.

Comment

I think we are playing "Who's on first?".

Your mouse pointer is erratic but you usually don't use a mouse. The core of my first suggestion was that people sometimes inadvertently touch their touchpad while using the mouse, making it move erratically. I suggested you turn off the touchpad. You did, but your mouse is still erratic. When you used the extension cord, your touchpad got touchy as well. The mouse battery is not a problem because you use a wired mouse, but you say in another post that you use a wireless mouse. Who's on first?

Comment

I think we are playing "Who's on first?".

Your mouse pointer is erratic but you usually don't use a mouse. The core of my first suggestion was that people sometimes inadvertently touch their touchpad while using the mouse, making it move erratically. I suggested you turn off the touchpad. You did, but your mouse is still erratic. When you used the extension cord, your touchpad got touchy as well. The mouse battery is not a problem because you use a wired mouse, but you say in another post that you use a wireless mouse. Who's on first?
                        Ok, I SpecialEd, don't usually use a mouse and my touch pad acts wonky when plugged into an extension chord. Quantock48, the original poster has "mouse" pointer problems. Sorry if I inadvertently hijacked the thread, I thought they were similar problems.

Comment

It now appears that there was a problem with the particular mouse I was using. I have now replaced it with a different wired mouse and everything is fine. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Comment

Mea Culpa. I read and replied to the msgs without paying attention to who wrote them. Shows you want assumptions do.

Comment

Working...
                            X