This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bfq?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

http://algo.ing.unimo.it/people/paolo/disk_sched/
      https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-Replacing-CFQ

Please Read Me

Comment

My bad! I thought you were making a joke about some "B(trfs)IO scheduler!
        I can see why it would be desirable if one was using cgroups on Btrfs.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think that Cgroups (control groups for disk i/o processes) are the same a Qgroups (quota groups to limit or control disk space usage).

From the respective Wiki's:
          cgroups (abbreviated from control groups) is a Linux kernel feature that limits, accounts for, and isolates the resource usage (CPU, memory, disk I/O, network, etc.) of a collection of processes.
          qgroups (abbreviated from quota groups) imposes an upper limit to the space a btrfs subvolume or snapshot may consume.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
            ...move to CFQ with buffered writeback throttling (WBT) + WBT_MQ (WBT multi-queu) enabled.
            We originally moved to DEADLINE because of the issues with slow I/O (say to flash drives) causing applications to hang while blocked on the slow I/O being flushed out. It seems that with the recent 4.10 WBT driver...
            Thank you, that sounds good, that the problem I had back in the day has been addressed.
            ...Faster boots. On a 8 thread Xeon CPU E3-1275 I'm seeing a reduction in usertime boots from 33.92s (Deadline) to ~24.5s (CFQ)...
            Maybe that's with a spinning disc... or not with systemd. My Kubuntu boots to the login prompt (from the Grub menu) in about 2 s.
            Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
              I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think that Cgroups (control groups for disk i/o processes) are the same a Qgroups (quota groups to limit or control disk space usage).

From the respective Wiki's:
              cgroups (abbreviated from control groups) is a Linux kernel feature that limits, accounts for, and isolates the resource usage (CPU, memory, disk I/O, network, etc.) of a collection of processes.
              qgroups (abbreviated from quota groups) imposes an upper limit to the space a btrfs subvolume or snapshot may consume.
              No doubt that you are right, but a clever admin would probably combine the effects of the two cgroups to produce some pretty stringent regulations.

Comment

Working...
              X