This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Logout/shutdown/reboot from KDE session hangs system

I've been having this problem for over 4 years, through various distro upgrades, on 2 different PCs, and have just been living with it since it's my work computer & I rarely log out or reboot it. But...

Whenever I logout/shutdown/reboot a KDE session, it appears to go nicely for a while, then the system hangs. Like, NO keyboard/mouse response at all; can't even drop to a console. The only solution at that point is a power cycle. I've tried various methods like logging out & immediately switching to another VT, but it still freezes eventually. Tried killing my session from a VT by killing the session, still hangs. Tried Ctrl-Shift-Backspace to kill the X session; still ends up hanging. I used to be able to force a reboot with the "magic" SysRq keys, but as of Kubuntu 16.04.1 even that doesn't seem to work any more.

Additional: *Sometimes* logout/shutdown/reboot works OK... typically if I've just logged in, but not always. I have a suspicion that it's not actually KDE winding down, but rather the DM (using lightdm, but I've tried others) or the X server itself hanging on restart (or more likely, on termination).Any suggestions on what log files I can examine or debug output I can enable to figure out what the culprit is?

log file's are in /var/log ,,,,,you say your using lightdm but in 16.04 sddm is the default ,,,,no mater their should be a /var/log/lightdm that has it's logs

the "magic" SysRq keys ar mostly deprecated exept S,U,B ,,,use in that order .

other than that ,,,,not sure where to look myself .

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
    X