This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Command to get to external drive?

Using the terminal I've been trying to copy or move files to an external drive. When I cd /media and then ls I get this -

guest-WcO0LM john My Book root

What does it mean? Do I need to add guest-WcO0LM into any CP command? I can't even use any command line to get to My Book (external drive name).

I'm just not getting it. back in the days of DOS I had to use commands but I am not catching on to the nix commands.

I copy and paste the output of
    Code:
    ls -la /media
    wile the drives plugged in and mounted (opend in dolphin once , or by the command line)

and

Code:
    findmnt
    and yes you must use the full path on a "cp" command ,,,,,, like /media/guest-WcO0LM/foldername , ,,,,,,,you can just use dolphin , or are you having fun .

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by urdrwho5 View Post
      Using the terminal I've been trying to copy or move files to an external drive. When I cd /media and then ls I get this -

guest-WcO0LM john My Book root

What does it mean? Do I need to add guest-WcO0LM into any CP command? I can't even use any command line to get to My Book (external drive name).

I'm just not getting it. back in the days of DOS I had to use commands but I am not catching on to the nix commands.
      IF you are merely plugging the external drive into a USB port it should automatically mount. When you open Dolphin it should show you "Places" in the lower left part of the GUI. If not, hit F9.
      Your external drive should display in Places. You can left click on it to display its contents in the folder display panel, just like you can with /home/youraccountname or any other directory or folder. However, you have read and write permissions ONLY in your home folder. If you right click on your external drive folder in folders panel (F7), and select "Properties" then you can select the Permissions tab to see who owns the drive (root or you), and what permissions you have on that drive. If you don't have read/write permission on that external drive you will have to close Dolphin and open it using "kdesudo dolphin" in a Konsole to run it with root permissions. (Or, "kdesudo dbus-run-session dolphin" if you have that dolphin root bug). Then, running as root you can drag and drop (or copy & paste from your home account to the external drive with abandon!
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks

I'll go the KDEsudo route.

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        IF you are merely plugging the external drive into a USB port it should automatically mount. When you open Dolphin it should show you "Places" in the lower left part of the GUI. If not, hit F9.
        Your external drive should display in Places. You can left click on it to display its contents in the folder display panel, just like you can with /home/youraccountname or any other directory or folder. However, you have read and write permissions ONLY in your home folder. If you right click on your external drive folder in folders panel (F7), and select "Properties" then you can select the Permissions tab to see who owns the drive (root or you), and what permissions you have on that drive. If you don't have read/write permission on that external drive you will have to close Dolphin and open it using "kdesudo dolphin" in a Konsole to run it with root permissions. (Or, "kdesudo dbus-run-session dolphin" if you have that dolphin root bug). Then, running as root you can drag and drop (or copy & paste from your home account to the external drive with abandon!

Comment

Having a small bit of fun learning new tricks.

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
          I copy and paste the output of
          Code:
          ls -la /media
          wile the drives plugged in and mounted (opend in dolphin once , or by the command line)

and

Code:
          findmnt
          and yes you must use the full path on a "cp" command ,,,,,, like /media/guest-WcO0LM/foldername , ,,,,,,,you can just use dolphin , or are you having fun .

VINNY

Comment

Linux is always a blast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by urdrwho5 View Post
              Having a small bit of fun learning new tricks.
              Use the partition's UUID and add an entry for it in /etc/fstab; if the external drive isn't plugged in when you boot the machine you'll still need to do a
              Code:
              mount -a
              to get the drive to mount.

Or - if you want to have a little more fun learning new tricks change the volume label on the external drive to something a little more human-readable. I have two external drives that I use for backups on two different machines; volume label on both of those drives is 'external'. Both my backup scripts check for the existence of that volume label before copying any data to the mount point because if the backup job starts and the external drive isn't mounted it'll just fill up the mount point and break my root partition

You can also use a udev rule to mount the drive when it's plugged in if you like.

Hope this helps -
              we see things not as they are, but as we are.
              -- anais nin

Comment

Working...
              X