X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I lock out future kernel upgrades

I have a very old HP laptop that has a NVIDIA graphic chip
    Originally I installed Kubuntu 14.10 but had terrible video problems that I could not over come.
    I then went back to 13.10 LTS and got everything worked out.
    That install was a few years ago and I have been upgrading kernels since then.
    I have KDE 4.14.13

I noticed that the last two kernel upgrades started to exhibit the same video problems I had in 14.10. I don't want to go there again so I am thinking of locking out any kernal upgrades.

How can I set it to get security upgrades, other program upgrades but not the kernel upgrades. Or is it not a good idea?

Generally, kernel updates are security updates. If your hardware is not compatible or is having issues with a new kernel, you really have no choice but to stay with an older kernel. That's what you get with old hardware - old kernels.

To "freeze" a package, sudo apt-mark hold package_name will do it.

Alternately, you could allow kernel updates, but boot to the older kernel as default. Then you could try each new kernel update to see if your issue goes away again.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks

It is a weird thing and sometimes I think grub gets messed up. I have a dual boot Kubuntu / WIndows.

After a kernel update I'll get the need to reboot icon. Yesterday I rebooted and it flew right by the grub menu and Kubuntu opened to a screen that filled only 3/4 of the screen. I shut down (not reboot) restarted and got the screen with the choice of what to boot into. I choose Kubuntu. Still opened to 3/4 screen. Shut down.

Let it sit for a few moments and re-booted but this time I rebooted into bios to see if something changed or can be changed. Nothing changed.

I started the reboot out of the bios and the grub screen opened to give choices, I choose the recently installed kernel and everything opened as it should. Now it is stable.

This was the recent update

Start-Date: 2016-08-29 19:38:30
      Install: linux-image-extra-3.13.0-95-generic:amd64 (3.13.0-95.142, automatic), linux-image-3.13.0-95-generic:amd64 (3.13.0-95.142, automatic), linux-headers-3.13.0-95:amd64 (3.13.0-95.142, automatic),
      linux-headers-3.13.0-95-generic:amd64 (3.13.0-95.142, automatic)
      Upgrade: linux-headers-generic:amd64 (3.13.0.93.100, 3.13.0.95.103),
      linux-libc-dev:amd64 (3.13.0-93.140, 3.13.0-95.142),
      linux-image-generic:amd64 (3.13.0.93.100, 3.13.0.95.103)
      End-Date: 2016-08-29 19:40:54

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      Generally, kernel updates are security updates. If your hardware is not compatible or is having issues with a new kernel, you really have no choice but to stay with an older kernel. That's what you get with old hardware - old kernels.

To "freeze" a package, sudo apt-mark hold package_name will do it.

Alternately, you could allow kernel updates, but boot to the older kernel as default. Then you could try each new kernel update to see if your issue goes away again.

Comment

Working...
      X