X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing Borders and Shadow Kubuntu 16.04

Hullo,

Is it possible to completely remove shadow and windows borders in latest, 16.04 Kubuntu?
    I have only found the way to change some shadow values in Windows Decoration - Look and Feel of Windows Titles. No option of totally removing the shadow.

Thank you in advance.

Not easily with Breeze decoration.

I think you might still be able to turn off shadows if you use the oxygen deco?
    On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Thank you.
      In the case of Oxygen I presume it could be found in shadow stating, right?
      And how about custom themes, ie Windows 10?

Iperhaps is there any possibility to edit a CSS file of Breeze?

Comment

Simplest solution would be to disable desktop effects; but yes, you can edit the theme. I copied the breeze theme to my home directory to keep from altering the original and then hacked away at it
        we see things not as they are, but as we are.
        -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by ThGeo View Post
          Iperhaps is there any possibility to edit a CSS file of Breeze?
          As said, if you know how you can hack the decoration theme and rebuild it.

I've done that in the past to reduce the deco height and padding to a minimum, change the corner radius, and centre rather than offset the dropshadow.
          On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Thanks you both.
            acheron, would you mind sharing your custom CSS Breeze file, please?
            Indeed your idea of reducing padding and removing corners is great.
            If for some reason you do, could you just share the main, CSS exemplary entry?

As I understand, wizard10000, joy have just copied the whole theme folder from user/share/themes to your .themes folder, renamed it and call it from... some themes setting place, right?

I would appreciate any further information if you are still so kind.

PS
            Is there any forum on KDE Plasma customisation?

Comment

Originally posted by ThGeo View Post
              Thanks you both.
              acheron, would you mind sharing your custom CSS Breeze file, please?
              Indeed your idea of reducing padding and removing corners is great.
              If for some reason you do, could you just share the main, CSS exemplary entry?

As I understand, wizard10000, joy have just copied the whole theme folder from user/share/themes to your .themes folder, renamed it and call it from... some themes setting place, right?

I would appreciate any further information if you are still so kind.
              It's not CSS.

The window decoration for breeze is not a theme in /usr/share/themes or anywhere like that.

You have to recompile the breezedecoration.so library from source with your alterations.

This section from kdecoration/breeze.h in the breeze sources

Code:
              //* metrics
                  enum Metrics
                  {

//* corner radius (pixels)
                      [COLOR=#0000ff]Frame_FrameRadius = 3,
              [/COLOR]
                      //* titlebar metrics, in units of small spacing
                      [COLOR=#0000ff]TitleBar_TopMargin = 2,
                      TitleBar_BottomMargin = 2,
                      TitleBar_SideMargin = 2,
                      TitleBar_ButtonSpacing = 2,[/COLOR]

// shadow dimensions (pixels)
                      [COLOR=#0000ff]Shadow_Overlap = 3,[/COLOR]

};

//* exception
                  enum ExceptionMask
                  {
                      None = 0,
                      BorderSize = 1<<4
                  };
              The above ^^^ are the unaltered defaults, by the way.
              Last edited by acheron; Jul 25, 2016, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Once more thank you very much.
                Alas if it is not CSS I will not be able probably to play around with.
                Perhaps one winter day....?

Termes like 'recompile' still have been scaring me.
                Is there any precise part in this file to remove all drop shadow I can easily change at least?
                Ie some equivalent to CSS "none'?

Comment

Same / same kind of: https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=135024
                  Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                  1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                  2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

you can hide the borders of a window by hiting Alt+F3 to open the window menu (or right click on the window icon.) and select no border. You can make this system wide if you want by setting window rules in System Settings -> window management -> Window rules .make a new rule that matches all windows and applies "no border" as for the shadows that is up to the widget theme. You can however change the widget theme to QtCurve (a themeable widget theme) and get a breeze like theme . its config will allow you to change every aspect of the widget theme. be sure to get the qtcurve packages for qt4 qt5 gtk2 and gtk3 for a consistant look . you cna configure this in System settings-> application apperance -> widget theme
                    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
                    X