X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE4 vs KDE5 user volumes

Hi all
    Are there any stats on active user volumes for KDE4 vs KDE5? I can't find anything specific here - just a feeling there are still plenty of us on 14.04! - or on forum.kde.org. Distrowatch doesn't claim to break down by users, only page visits, and doesn't seem to distinguish by version anyway.

Thanks!
    Joe
    I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Lies, damned lies, and statistics

With the Debian based there is the Debian Popularity Contest - http://popcon.debian.org :
    The popularity contest project is an attempt to map the usage of Debian packages. This site publishes the statistics gathered from report sent by users of the popularity-contest package. This package sends every week the list of packages installed and the access time of relevant files to the server via email. Every day the server anonymizes the result and publishes this survey...
    Ubuntu Popularity Contest: http://popcon.ubuntu.com
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Thanks Rog - I'll have a dig in the data there!

---

Hmm - it doesn't break down by version, and most packages have the same names between KDE versions.

Is python-kde4 installed by default? libqt4-anything? I wonder.
      Last edited by SecretCode; Jun 21, 2016, 09:36 AM.

Comment

RE the popularity contest analysis, I am encouraged by the huge number of installations in the i386 architecture which still dwarfs all other platforms.

I don't feel like I'm being left behind by the 64bit crowd.

Now, how do we get the devs to start/keep writing to the 32bit world?
        Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.9.3, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Not sure popcon will give an accurate representation since Debian Stable is still running KDE4; Testing and Unstable are using Plasma5.
          we see things not as they are, but as we are.
          -- anais nin

Comment

Is popcon only or predominantly used by unstable/testing vs stable?

Comment

Originally posted by SecretCode View Post
              Is popcon only or predominantly used by unstable/testing vs stable?
              No, and sorry my point was less than clear

The vast majority of KDE folks running Debian are running KDE4 since Plasma5 is not available for any production Debian distribution.

The first thing in popcon I could tell for sure was Plasma5 was libkdecore5 at #1979. Package names don't help much as Debian uses the same metapackage names for all KDE environments; f'rinstance kde-baseapps is the package name for both KDE4 and Plasma5.
              we see things not as they are, but as we are.
              -- anais nin

Comment

Working...
              X