Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Update threw an error and a black screen is the result!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[DESKTOP] Update threw an error and a black screen is the result!

I'm running Kubuntu 16.04 and it is doing great.
    This morning when I booted up I got a notice of an upgrade. I fired up Muon and selected the five files, a kernel upgrade to -24.
    (I usually use apt from the command line but at 75 I am not consistant! )
    I started the upgrade. It ended rather quickly and abnormally and threw an error with no details available. Grub update was not run.
    I rebooted and after logging in I was presented with black screen and a mouse pointer which moved but otherwise was unresponsive to button clicks.
    The KDE desktop environment was running, even though the desktop was not displaying, so I did an Alt-F2 to get the Krunner command line. I entered "dolphin" and it appeared.
    I used Dolphin to rename ~/.kde to ~/.kde_old. I closed Dolphin.
    In the Konsole I used

sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/lock (because Muon crashed without releasing the lock)
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt dist-upgrade

Apt ran the grub update.

I called up Konsole from Krunner and issued "reboot".

After the bootup and login Plasma5 came up in all its glory and my desktop was exactly as i left it yesterday.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

That'll learn ya for use'n a GUI application to do package management!
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yup, my bad!
      (Really, it was just a sudden impulse! I didn't mean to do it.... Honest!)
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

What no synaptic? ;P
        -- apt-get ftw

Comment

Originally posted by stratacast View Post
          What no synaptic? ;P
          -- apt-get ftw
          I've always used Synaptic, and had it installed on my Xenial for a while, but when I checked out Muon I noticed it had everything that Synaptic had and didn't requirre QTK+, so I switched.
          However, even Muon is several times slower than apt or apt-get in a Konsole, and I usually stick with the Konsole.

Comment

Working...
          X