This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone do plasma 5.6 backports?

I was wondering if anyone has installed the backports and can report on its stability compared to 5.5 that comes stock with Kubuntu 16.04? Also if anyone has word on if open broadcaster software works and openshot 2 when upgrading to plasmashell 5.6? I assume I'll have to figure out the last question on my own, so if it doesn't work, is there a way to revert back to plasmashell 5.5 if my programs don't work?

Upgrading plasma won't have an effect on a program running or not, really. Plasma just draws the window decorations/buttons and desktop background and taskbar and widgets and the like. So if OBS and openshot work (or don't) it will not be because of upgrading. Both should work just fine if they both work in Ubuntu, which I believe they both do.

The upgrade should be painless, and you may not even notice a lot of differences. It seems quite snappy and stable for me.

You can usually revert back ppa's added by installing and using ppa-purge, which can revert you back.

Comment

Okay cool thank you. The reason why I ask about those 2 software projects in particular was because when I used KDE Neon (before 16.04 was released), the 2 programs relied on dependencies from 5.4, so I was unable to use them, which is where my skepticism comes from. I don't want to have to deal with my programs not working because I upgraded to a backported version of the desktop

Comment

Well, that is Neon, which rather breaks dependencies, probably due to a more up-to-date qt than what Ubuntu can ship (which has zero relation to plasma version) as well as to simple packaging differences between the two projects (as neon is not Kubuntu). Openshot 2 (rather openshot-qt) is using Qt, not any Plasma/Frameworks libraries from KDE so I suspect this was the case in 15.10, especially as Neon was much more rough around the edges back before 16.04.

I see no dep issues with openshot in either a stock 16.04 or a backports-enabled one here.

Comment

Thank you a bunch for your input! I just did the upgrade and I am happy so far. OBS and Openshot work and as does everything else on my system. Strangely, it seems like it fixed this issue where I would have my audio cut out frequently too, but it's too soon to officially claim that

Comment

The backport cleared up a regression introduced by an upgrade that broke the widget download feature.

You got OBS running? What video chip do you have. OBS requires GL 3.2 and mine is at 3.1. I don't see a 3.2 upgrade in the repository. So, I've settled on SimpleScreenRecorder in the meantime.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Why yes I did! I have an Nvidia GTX 970, using proprietary drivers. I will have to check later which version of OpenGL I am running, but it works seamlessly. If you can't get OBS to work, have you tried Kazam? I personally found that to work better than SimpleScreenRecorder in my own experience

Comment

Thanks, I'll give Kazam a try. My Acer has an "Intel Integrated Graphic Chip", which probably means that one or all of the four cores are doing the work of a GPU.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

So I checked what I am using for rendering, and I am also using OpenGL 3.1 for rendering, so I don't see why it wouldn't work. You're grabbing from the OBS repository here right?
                  https://obsproject.com/download#linux

Comment

Yep. I'm running 16.04 with the 5.6 backport and that binary is for 15.04 and later.
                    I tried GL 3.1 but still got the same abend.

Comment

Working...
                    X