This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 15.10 randomly and completely freezing

So I've been running Kubuntu 15.10 w/ Neon for a while but within the past month or so I've been experiencing random freeze forcing a hard reboot. Sometimes I'll get a day or two and think that it's worked itself out, other times I get 15 minutes. I thought it might be hardware related because I had installed some new ram around the same time but I ran Memtest + overnight without errors. I can also run Windows 10 without issues so I am at a loss.

What information would be helpful in diagnosing the issue?

As you haven't had a reply here's mine for what it's worth.

Over the years I've found that random freezes are usually down to either the power supply or a device driver. As you have Windows working ok I think we can eliminate the power supply.

So that means it's likely to be a driver and the video driver has to be favourite here. If you have desktop effects enable then switch them off. If the problem continues think about changing the video driver; if you're using an nvidia chipset then you can switch between nouveau and the binary driver.

Another thing to try is the options for video compositing. I'm not at my desktop right now so I can't remember the choices but choosing a different compositer type (Xrender, direct, etc) could make a difference.

Comment

Thank you for the suggestion. I had been using Nouveau and switching to Nvidia 361 and it's been 24 hours without a freeze so fingers crossed!

Comment

Working...
      X