Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My taskbar and system tray were reset after upgrading. Can I retrieve them?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My taskbar and system tray were reset after upgrading. Can I retrieve them?

I recently updated my Kubuntu from 14.04 using command line. My new desktop has been reset back to default settings, with the new desktop system.

Is there a way to get back my old icons, application shortcuts, and saved settings?

Assuming that you upgraded to plasma 5, no, I am not aware of any way to import the Kde 4 desktop settings to plasma 5

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      Assuming that you upgraded to plasma 5, no, I am not aware of any way to import the Kde 4 desktop settings to plasma 5

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
      i'd bet someone with programming skills will figure out how to do it soon. Or might just need to get plasma 5 equivalents

Comment

Originally posted by vsreeser View Post
        i'd bet someone with programming skills will figure out how to do it soon. Or might just need to get plasma 5 equivalents
        While you *may* be able to use the kde4 configs for individual applications by moving them from the old dirs to the new one, I don't think desktop (Plasma) settings are importable. They were not when they moved from KDE3 to KDE4, and I don't foresee it happening now (I figure it would have been done already).

Comment

The widgets/plasmoids are not at all compatible which will make a change over challenging.
          Worse, a lot of QT4 plasmoids/widgets have not (yet?) been ported to Plasma 5

Like Quick Access is no longer available and there is only one 'workable' weather widget, no it's not the Yahoo one.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
            The widgets/plasmoids are not at all compatible which will make a change over challenging.

Like Quick Access is no longer available and there is only one 'workable' weather widget, no it's not the Yahoo one.
            but it dose @hear

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post379838

their is a missing qml-module not installed by default that the yahoo weather needs ,,,,,,,,,,, https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post369928

"qml-module-qtquick-xmllistmodel"

VINNY

PS: encase we are wandering about the animated wallpaper ,,,,,,,,,,,,, look to hear https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post379758
            Last edited by vinnywright; Dec 20, 2015, 02:00 PM.
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post

Quick access returned with Plasma 5.5, which we really will be getting soon, honest!

The majority of the missing plasma widgets are due to that the third-party creators have not all bothered to update them.

Comment

Indeed, I have good hopes for future returns of the old widgets like Quick Access.

Vinny, when I quipped about Yahoo weather it was not about missing bits but the overall experience including layout that I consider below par.
                Even the mini widget using the Norwegian weather service is better.
                Until you are without network and it takes 100% of a single core trying to update...

Comment

Working...
                X