This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hdmi

Recently purchased a cheap walmart computer, acer aspire axc-603g-uw15. Got rid of the windows os and Installed kubuntu 15.04, replace the drive with an ssd and double the ram. the computer is a streaming computer for a 42 inch sanyo tv dp42410. resolution is set at 1360x768. Using hdmi in hdmi1

whenever I turn off the tv, change input to hdmi2 or other input settings with the computer on, when I return, there is a no signal message and have to reboot the computer. Is this normal for hdmi or is there some setting I am missing. I do not have this problem with vga.

This might help
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2243778

Comment

Is your tv's native resolution 1360x768? That seems low, for a 42 inch tv.

Also assuming you mean 1366, as 1360 is not a normal resolution either.

I would suggest trying to use the native resolution (1920x1080)to see if that fixes it.

Yes, the desktop will have tiny fonts etc, but you can increase the screen dpi in the font settings section.

Sent from my LG G4
      Last edited by claydoh; Sep 05, 2015, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wartnose View Post
        It is too late for me to use that site at this time but I have bookmark it for the next time I try Kubuntu on that computer- thanks alot :-)

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        Is your tv's native resolution 1360x768? That seems low, for a 42 inch tv.

Also assuming you mean 1366, as 1360 is not a normal resolution either.

I would suggest trying to use the native resolution to see if that fixes it.

Sent from my LG G4
        1360 may not be normal but that is the one I can use without getting the no signal message and I have not figured out how to get out of it once applied so I tend to reinstall. I also use it for two other reasons - I cannot set the edges on the tv on that specific model and it is the only resolution that stretches across the screen properly. and the second reason is it makes it easer to read the screen when sitting 10-15 feet away without making a lot of screen modifications :-) The default whenever I install is 1920x1080

Anyway, I solved the problem the other day by giving fedora a try. I was in one of those moods to try a different distro than kubuntu which I use on my other computers.

Thanks
        Last edited by renegade600; Sep 05, 2015, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Decided to give this another try. The solutions within the link in a previous post did not work. A couple more bits of info. I do not have this problem with the other distros I have tried. Nor do I have this problem with I first installed Kubuntu. Both times the problem starts a few days later. It is weird. Just before it happened both times, my sound would somehow reset to my webcam. Once I reset the sound, I have the hdmi problem.

Comment

I see a lot of hotel rooms and always carry a hdmi cable, I noticed quite a lot of TV's are/ display a couple of (~20) pixels short of what we consider a 'normal' resolution.

The problem with not switching to hdmi output is possible caused by the TV not sending a recognised monitor (EDID) configuration to the computer or the video card not recognising the TV.

What video card and driver is the computer using, probably Intel or maybe AMD?

Comment

The sanyo dp42410 specifications list it as being 1920x1080i. It's likely that your video card is actually outputting 1920x1080p (which will not work on that monitor.) Depending on your video card you may be able to configure the settings for 1080i in a terminal window prior to starting X... or at the very lease CTL-ALT-F1 to a terminal window to play with it...

cheers,
              bill
              sigpic
              A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new. --Albert Einstein

Comment

is it standalone installation, or is it muddled with ubuntu in some session ordeal?

Comment

Working...
                X