Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some issues with new Kde 5.9 - cannot pin applications to dock - look is so and so

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some issues with new Kde 5.9 - cannot pin applications to dock - look is so and so

Pardon me if I'm posting some inexperienced question but I have performed a new install of kubuntu 15.04, coming from excellent experiences with older versions of kubuntu. To my surprise kde appeared very poor looking, even if fast, I haven't been able to find any new theme to apply.

Moreover there seems to be no way to pin my favourite applications on the dock (which sometimes freezes a little bit when hidden)

A third annoyance is that K3b doesn't see my other disks so I cannot use them to store files to burn.

Surprisingly nobody seems to have incurred in the same situation so I must have committed some basic error, however I need help to identify it.

Originally posted by bghomofaber View Post
    I haven't been able to find any new theme to apply.
    Application Menu -> Settings -> System Settings
    Workspace Theme, Icons and Application Style all have the option to get new themes; which doesn't mean there will be that many.

Moreover there seems to be no way to pin my favourite applications on the dock (which sometimes freezes a little bit when hidden)
    When the application is running, right click on the task bar and select "Show a launcher when not running"

A third annoyance is that K3b doesn't see my other disks so I cannot use them to store files to burn.
    No idea on this one I'm afraid
    If you're sitting wondering,
    Which Batman is the best,
    There's only one true answer my friend,
    It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

Surprisingly nobody seems to have incurred in the same situation so I must have committed some basic error, however I need help to identify it.
      be a bit more descriptive hear ,,,,,are the disks mounted ,,,,,where ,how
      k3b will not see them if the system is not using them at the moment (mounting through dolphin's places panel) but should if you have accessed them in this way .

I have my storage drive mounted at boot with a listing in /etc/fstab ,,,so always ready on boot .

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by elijathegold View Post
        Application Menu -> Settings -> System Settings
        Workspace Theme, Icons and Application Style all have the option to get new themes; which doesn't mean there will be that many.

When the application is running, right click on the task bar and select "Show a launcher when not running"

No idea on this one I'm afraid
        Thank you my main issua was pinning the apps to the dock. Aesthetics will improve i hope

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
          be a bit more descriptive hear ,,,,,are the disks mounted ,,,,,where ,how
          k3b will not see them if the system is not using them at the moment (mounting through dolphin's places panel) but should if you have accessed them in this way .

I have my storage drive mounted at boot with a listing in /etc/fstab ,,,so always ready on boot .

VINNY
          yes I meant I can see them perfectly in Dolphin, as it was in the previous Kde version. They just don't appear in k3b.

Comment

Have you browsed them Dolphin before using K3B or are they just visible?
            If you're sitting wondering,
            Which Batman is the best,
            There's only one true answer my friend,
            It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

they do ,,,you just have not found them ,,,,,,,,,,I ask once agin how do you mount them ,,,,,,,,,

IF you click them in dolphins places panel ,,,,,,,,,thay are mounted to /media/<you>/<some string of letters and numbers>

in k3b navigate root/media/you/the string .

where "you" is your user name

VINNY

Last edited by vinnywright; Sep 02, 2015, 03:34 PM.
              16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                they do ,,,you just have not found them ,,,,,,,,,,I ask once agin how do you mount them ,,,,,,,,,

IF you click them in dolphins places panel ,,,,,,,,,thay are mounted to /media/<you>/<some string of letters and numbers>

in k3b navigate root/media/you/the string .

where "you" is your user name

VINNY

Ty I know the path but k3b sees an empty tree under /media. it is the only application that does this: dolphin and brasero, which I took as substitute, see perfectly everything under /media.

Comment

SOLVED I installed some auxiliary k3b package late in the night (cannot remember which but I installed everything that was marked as uninstalled minus debug and dev libraries). Now k3b sees everything under /media. I also managed to install a decent transparent theme, elegance. Now i have back a nice desktop

Comment

SOLVED I installed some auxiliary k3b package late in the night (cannot remember which but I installed everything that was marked as uninstalled minus debug and dev libraries). Now k3b sees everything under /media. I also managed to install a decent transparent theme, elegance. Now i have back a nice desktop
                    that is strange as k3b "should" come withall it kneads to browse it's own file tree window .

perhaps you installed somthing elce that removed some part of it and then adding an extra k3b package reinstalled the missing part @hear the default k3b packages are (the ones marked "installed"

Code:
                            [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ apt search k3b [/COLOR]
                    Sorting... Done 
                    Full Text Search... Done 
                    [COLOR=#18b218]k3b[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]/wily,now 2.0.3-0ubuntu3 amd64 [installed] [/COLOR]
                      Sophisticated CD/DVD burning application 

[COLOR=#18b218]k3b-data[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]/wily,now 2.0.3-0ubuntu3 all [installed] [/COLOR]
                      Sophisticated CD/DVD burning application - data files 

[COLOR=#18b218]k3b-dbg[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]/wily 2.0.3-0ubuntu3 amd64 [/COLOR]
                      Sophisticated CD/DVD burning application - debugging symbols 

[COLOR=#18b218]k3b-extrathemes[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]/wily 2.0.3-0ubuntu3 all [/COLOR]
                      Sophisticated CD/DVD burning application - extra themes 

[COLOR=#18b218]k3b-i18n[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]/wily,now 2.0.3-0ubuntu3 all [installed] [/COLOR]
                      Sophisticated CD/DVD burning application - localizations files 

[COLOR=#18b218]libk3b-dev[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]/wily 2.0.3-0ubuntu3 amd64 [/COLOR]
                      KDE CD/DVD burning application library - development files 

[COLOR=#18b218]libk3b6[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]/wily,now 2.0.3-0ubuntu3 amd64 [installed] [/COLOR]
                      KDE CD/DVD burning application library - runtime files 

[COLOR=#18b218]libk3b6-extracodecs[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]/wily,now 2.0.3-0ubuntu3 amd64 [installed] [/COLOR]
                      KDE CD/DVD burning application library - extra decoders 

[/FONT]
                    and the depends of k3b are

Code:
                            [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ apt show k3b [/COLOR]
                    Package: k3b 
                    Priority: optional 
                    Section: universe/otherosfs 
                    Installed-Size: 2,159 kB 
                    Maintainer: Kubuntu Developers <kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com> 
                    Original-Maintainer: Debian KDE Extras Team <pkg-kde-extras@lists.alioth.debian.org> 
                    Version: 2.0.3-0ubuntu3 
                    Replaces: k3b-data (<< 1.66.0~alpha2-1) 
                    [COLOR=#ff0000]Depends: kde-runtime, libc6 (>= 2.14), libk3b6 (= 2.0.3-0ubuntu3), libkcddb4 (>= 4:4.3.4), libkcmutils4 (>= 4:4.4.95), libkd
                    e3support4 (>= 4:4.4.4), libkdecore5 (>= 4:4.4.95), libkdeui5 (>= 4:4.5.85), libkfile4 (>= 4:4.7.0), libkio5 (>= 4:4.4.4), l
                    ibknotifyconfig4 (>= 4:4.4.4), libqt4-dbus (>= 4:4.5.3), libqt4-qt3support (>= 4:4.5.3), libqt4-xml (>= 4:4.5.3), libqtcore4
                     (>= 4:4.8.0), libqtgui4 (>= 4:4.8.0), libqtwebkit4, libsolid4 (>= 4:4.4.4), libstdc++6 (>= 4.1.1), k3b-data (= 2.0.3-0ubunt
                    u3), wodim | cdrskin, cdparanoia, cdrdao, genisoimage, udisks2 [/COLOR]
                    Recommends: dvd+rw-tools, vcdimager, growisofs, libk3b6-extracodecs 
                    Suggests: k3b-extrathemes, k3b-i18n, normalize-audio, sox, movixmaker-2, kde-config-cddb 
                    Download-Size: 561 kB 
                    Homepage: http://www.k3b.org 
                    Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug 
                    Origin: Ubuntu 
                    Task: kubuntu-desktop, kubuntu-full, edubuntu-dvd-live 
                    APT-Manual-Installed: yes 
                    APT-Sources: http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ wily/universe amd64 Packages 
                    Description: Sophisticated CD/DVD burning application

[/FONT]
                    this is in 15.10 but should be similar in 15.04.

are you quite sure you had already opened the drive in dolphin before you tried to see it in k3b ?

this is one of the reasons I mount my storage drive with a line in /etc/fstab ,,,,,so it is always mounted to the same place at boot all the time ,,, I use /mnt/btrfs as the location of my mount , but it could be anywhere and named anything.

VINNY
                    16GB RAM

Comment

Working...
                    X