This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[DESKTOP] Howto? add Pager to Panel

I've been using Kubuntu since 9.10, and this has been puzzling me for some time lately.
    A raw install has only one desktop.
    Add a Pager to the Panel and there is still only one desktop, and nothing gets to be visible in the Panel. Why bother?
    Given this, it is extremely difficult to find the Pager's position in the Panel to bring up the option to add a second (Virtual) Desktop.
    Suggestion: default add Pager with 2 !!! Virtual Desktops! That way, the one initially active will be visible. So will the second, and if you want more the Pager is easy to find.

There are also parts of the Panel that will not accept placement of a Pager. The indication of this is a flag on the bottom edge of the icon being dragged into the proposed position. The default Panel, placed along the bottom edge of the screen, has a height such that this flag becomes invisible below the screen edge. Can I place it there? or not? The flag is only detectable if one first increases the Panel Height considerably (and then adjusts back to approx the old setting later!). This is another of my "homologation" observations.
    Last edited by Fester Bestertester; Aug 29, 2015, 04:23 AM.

Try this in the order listed.
    1. System Settings --> Desktop Behavior --> Virtual Desktops
    -Set Number of desktops to 2.
    -Set Number of rows to 1.
    2. Add the pager widget to the panel if it isn't there already.
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I still think step 1 should be the default minimum for step 2.
      Last edited by Fester Bestertester; Aug 30, 2015, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fester Bestertester View Post
        Thanks for the tip. I still think step 1 should be the default minimum for step 2.
        depending on what ver of kubuntu you are running step 1 automates step2 .

in other words as soon as you set more than 1 virtual desktop in system settings the pager will automagicly appear in the panel .

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

OK. In a fresh install, only 1 desktop. That's fine if you're a Windies Luddite doing everything on the one, but hey this is Linux - I can have more... I want more! What more natural than to add widget to Panel? This is same as step 2, but again only 1 desktop - no change. >To see ANYTHING you've got to find the Pager, or have read a Howto, or navigate the System Settings.... Back to my first post.

More: It would seem then that a fresh install already has VD - Virtual Desktops! - just that there's only one yet. Why then doesn't adding Pager to Panel just up the number of Desktops?
          Last edited by Fester Bestertester; Aug 30, 2015, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Not 100 percent sure on this, but I think some time back Kubuntu removed the pager from a standard panel. Some distros have it, others don't. I haven't noticed any gripes about it (till now, lol)

Anyway, to discover whatever the heck that little box on my taskbar is, i have to either read a tutorial, searched the web, or.....navigate through system settings............................

(not disagreeing with you, necessarily.)

Comment

Kubuntu default settings

Package kubuntu-settings-desktop: http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?ke...ll&section=all

Changelog: http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changel...ntu2/changelog
              kubuntu-settings (1:13.04ubuntu6) raring; urgency=low

* No virtual desktops in kwinrc

kubuntu-settings (1:13.04ubuntu5) raring; urgency=low

* No pager in 00-defaultLayout.js and only 1 desktop in kwinrc,
              use activities instead
              kubuntu-devel: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
              This list is for discussion about the development of the Kubuntu distribution...
              An example: 2013 January - Change the default settings of Kubuntu to improve the first time user experience - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ku...ry/006583.html
              Last edited by LinkBot; Aug 31, 2015, 02:15 AM.
              Try Me !

Comment

Been fighting all day - So stupidly simple....

Thank You!!!

Comment

Working...
                X