X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dock thunderbied into the tray

Hi
    I want to be able to minimize thunderbird after clicking close into the tray
    Using the add ons did not help.
    after clicking close the app's tray icon does not appear but it keeps running in the background.

I need your help please.

Regards,

hi, yea brand new installation of 15.10 but cant send thunderbird to tray , i have installed firetray as usual but its not working. please help.

thx.

Comment

berok, I believe you have to rephrase your question.

What is it you want to do, minimise or close Thunderbird?
      When selecting Close it will not minimise but indeed close.

How do you try to achieve it, by clicking what, the cross or minimise button on the right top, by right clicking the icon op the panel and selecting Close or minimise?

What I do seem to understand is that you have tried to close Thunderbird (I don't understand how) and it's icon disappeared from the panel but the program is still running.
      How do you know, by Alt+Tab or by looking at the system monitor?

And what version of Kubuntu are you using?

Comment

berok is saying he wants to be able to either click minimize or close (really dont mind either) and have TB sent to the tray but it does not. It has no tray icon. With firetray installed and possibility without (i didnt try without) it minimizes but there is no tray icon or panel icon although it does continue to run in background (checked with system monitor and TOP) but you cant get it back up again you have to kill the process and run TB again.

Im my case i have "load straight into tray" set as my default firetray profile so i was really stuck because i could not get access to TB at all , it would load , go into the background and without a tray icon i could never get access to it again.

Im running the Kubuntu 15.10
        Last edited by JackDinn; Sep 24, 2015, 07:22 AM.

Comment

firetray works fine here, but you have to reload plasmashell, or log out and back in for it to show up

Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot1.png
Views:	1
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	643044

Comment

but not for me or by the sounds of it berok, what version of kubuntu / plasma are you using there?

Comment

Originally posted by JackDinn View Post
              but not for me or by the sounds of it berok, what version of kubuntu / plasma are you using there?

Comment

Make sure you have libappindicator3-1 and indicator-application installed, i already have them, but not sure if is installed by default.

Comment

of course, I discover that you have to restart plasmashell every time you start tbird. It also mucks up my other tray entries.

I don't use tbird, so only installed as a test.

This extension doesn't seem to have any updates since May of 2014 April of 2015
                  Last edited by claydoh; Sep 24, 2015, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                    Make sure you have libappindicator3-1 and indicator-application installed, i already have them, but not sure if is installed by default.
                    yep your right the libappindicator3-1 was missing on a default installation so i installed it and now its showing properly (as per firetray) (except you still cant click left mouse to show/hide but cant have everything )

So now i have another question , i started looking at Kmail as the icon was working for that but now i cant find how to turn it off from loading at boot as i dont need/want kmail at all now.

thx for that vital piece of info though

Comment

Probably it is part of your saved desktop session that loads at login (the default settings is to save the last set of running apps). You can turn that off in system settings, or you can exclude kontact/kmail from being saved. It doesn't load at login for me.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                        of course, I discover that you have to restart plasmashell every time you start tbird. It also mucks up my other tray entries.

I don't use tbird, so only installed as a test.

This extension doesn't seem to have any updates since May of 2014 April of 2015

Name:	snapshot6.jpg
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	643045

Hmm i do have a "gap" in my tray now as well which does not seem to correspond to anything but im sure i can figure it given a little time.

O dear just as im typing this i get yet another crash , gets tiring

Name:	snapshot7.png
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	643046

I shall spend a little more time with this distro and see how i go, if it crashes much more though i shall prob drop it which is a pity as i really like this new KDE

Comment

hmm, so i changed the session login and logout to "start with an empty session" and killed the kmail process. Kmail now does not start at boot but im still getting kwallet starting up at boot and popping up asking for a PW. do i stop that by killing kwalletd5 process and then it wont start each time?

many thx.

Comment

ok how do i stop this kwallet popping up at boot/login.

Name:	snapshot8.jpg
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	643047

Why is it asking for my smpt wallet login when kmail is no longer running at boot/login ?

Iv shown the processes involved (i believe) and my startup background services settings but i cant see how to stop the wallet popup (center screen GUI) at logon?
                            Last edited by JackDinn; Sep 24, 2015, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Turn off kwallet in......System Settings, or if you use it to store your passwords, you can give it a blank password, and it will never bug you again

You do realize you are using and unfinished distro, right? Plus all the new and constantly updated KDE? Not to stop anyone from trying other distros, but I'll wager that you have the same Plasma, frameworks, and Applications versions in another distro, experiences will be similar.

The kwallet - pam integration looks to be missing have been broken, which is why you are getting the password popups. Fresh installs are supposed to hook the user login to the kwallet, so we would not get these prompts. Somehow, pam-kwallet is not being installed?

Plasma crashes, I don't have many, but that tbird extension sure messed up my systray.
                              Last edited by claydoh; Sep 24, 2015, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X