Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PLASMA 5] How to organize icons on desktop?

Just upgraded to Kubuntu 15, thanks for for all the work. Hopefully I'll eventually find something new that I prefer over Plasma 4,
    currently I'm just experiencing pain...

I'm a developer, and mostly spend my time in Firefox, Thunderbird, Qt Creator and couple of other apps.
    I have very small requirements for the desktop, I'd just like to have shortcuts to above apps and couple of more visible as
    same size icons, organized in a grid. I think Windows 3 or maybe 95 introduced me to that concept and that's my 10 year old prefers,
    so it should be pretty standard stuff. Is that possible in Plasma 5?

In Plasma 4 I eventually found this glass table / bubble like thingy where I could add Desktop shortcuts.
    In Plasma 5 it is gone, or hidden somewhere?

If I drag an app from the menu to the desktop, it may or may not have an icon. If it has an icon, by default it is something like a square millimeter in size, needing
    a magnifying glass to see it.

Apparently one must resize the icons by hand? How to have them all the same size?
    Qt Creator does not appear to have an icon at all, how do I add it?
    How do I move the icons around on desktop and organize them?

I've been sticking with Kubuntu since KDE 3, but these upgrades are huge pain points...

H.

Plasma KDE Userbase

-> https://userbase.kde.org/Plasma
    Try Me !

Comment

[QUOTE=LinkBot;371013]

Ok, apparently the Desktop folder view went missing during the upgrade, thanks for the hint.

The link to Qt Creator there does not have an icon though. When I right click on the link, Properties/General icon button is blank.
      Clicking the icon button brings up Select icon dialog, but selecting Other icons and clicking Browse button does nothing.
      This seems like a bug?

Btw. The Other icons by default seem to display /usr/share/pixmaps, but only the png files there, not xpm.

H.

Comment

Clicking the icon button brings up Select icon dialog, but selecting Other icons and clicking Browse button does nothing. This seems like a bug?
        Bug 346316 - Browse icon button in edit application no listed add icons: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=346316

Josef 2015-04-25 17:43:18 UTC

Bug is not about in kmenuedit. Problem is in frameworkintegration package.I fixed this problem with install new package frameworkintegration_5.9.0+git20150418.1058+15.04-0ubuntu0_amd64.deb It works with kmenuedit v5.2.2 and also git kmenuedit v5.3.90
        Try Me !

Comment

Working...
        X