Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE doesn't save any changes on the desktop.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[KDE] KDE doesn't save any changes on the desktop.

Hi Im new using KDE and just figure out that when I put any icon on the desktop it doesn't appear on the next time I turn on the PC, same way with any wallpaper or any other changes that I can make on the desktop, a new panel that I could add to the desktop or something like that, Nothing just stay there. So please any help?

Welcome to KDE!

Just to get a bit of background, what version of Kubuntu are you running?
    And are you running it as a full install, or in a virtual machine, or wubi, or something else?
    I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Originally posted by SecretCode View Post
      Welcome to KDE!

Just to get a bit of background, what version of Kubuntu are you running?
      And are you running it as a full install, or in a virtual machine, or wubi, or something else?
      Ok sorry for not to give that info, Im running kubuntu 14.04 LTS and it is a full install on my Laptop asus u50f

Comment

I presume other changes stick? Files saved in your home directory are still there on reboot?

There are a few possibilities here, but if it's just related to plasma:
        have a look in the activity manager (red-blue-green dots) and seeing if your old setup is saved as a backup activity
        try creating a new KDE user (as a test) and seeing if you can successfully change the wallpaper there
        try renaming the 3 or 4 config files ~/.kde/share/config/plasma*rc to something else as backup, rebooting, then changing the wallpaper and seeing if it sticks

Comment

Hi, I created a new KDE user and yes it does, in tha one I can save a wallpaper and make any change and it keep the change, by the way I also have a bug when I switch from a user to other, when I logout I have this bug message:

Application: Baloo File (baloo_file), signal: Segmentation fault
          Using host libthread_db library "/lib64/libthread_db.so.1".
          [KCrash Handler]

Comment

And my other suggestions?

Comment

The other suggestions I dont know how to do it.

Comment

OK -

have a look in the activity manager (red-blue-green dots) and seeing if your old setup is saved as a backup activity
                On your default panel, near the K, you should see an icon with red blue & green dots. Click it. The activity manager should come up. Is there more than one activity?

try renaming the 3 or 4 config files ~/.kde/share/config/plasma*rc to something else as backup, rebooting, then changing the wallpaper and seeing if it sticks
                To rename those files you could go to that folder in Dolphin and rename each one ... or run
                Code:
                rename 's/$/.bak/' ~/.kde/share/config/plasma*rc

Comment

Hi, thanks a lot man, I solved the problem with the last one of your suggestions, I just run the code: rename 's/$/.bak/' ~/.kde/share/config/plasma*rc just once on the Konsole and after that I can hold any changes on my desktop, Just to have a little more knowledge about the topic, Can you explain me as a novice What did I do running that code?

And thank you again. If there is something I can do to collaborate on the community just let me know.

Comment

What the command did specifically is to rename the config files Plasma uses so it would think they were not there - but by renaming instead of deleting you still have a backup in case of needing to revert.

Plasma recreates the config files with defaults if it can't find them. And since this has fixed it, it suggests there was some corruption that stopped it from saving changes.

Comment

Working...
                    X