This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here are some screenshots.

First, the Kickoff menu. Note that the space for Synaptic is blank.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	kickoff-menu.png
Views:	1
Size:	376.1 KB
ID:	642835

Here is the application editor. Note in the menu for synaptic, the icon is there, but in the editor, it is missing.

Name:	edit-applications.png
Size:	417.9 KB
ID:	642836

Here is the wallpaper chooser. Note the frames, where there should the thumbnails:

Name:	wallpaper-chooser.png
Size:	242.8 KB
ID:	642837

And here is what happens when I try to launch Gwenview:

Name:	gwenview-launch.png
Size:	267.6 KB
ID:	642838

And here is the gwenview navigation error:

Name:	gwenview-error.jpg
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	642839
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

I noticed you are getting "URL cannot be listed trash:/" errors.

I was getting those when I was having problems with listings in file dialogs and other oddities. Turned out kio-extras had gotten removed and reinstalling it fixed things. Worth checking for at least kio and kio-extras. Here's what I have:

Code:
      ronw@gazp6:~ $ aptitude search ~ikio
      i   kdemultimedia-kio-plugins                              - transitional package for kio-audiocd                            
      i   kdepimlibs-kio-plugins                                 - kio slaves used by KDE PIM applications                         
      i   kio                                                    - Resource and network access abstraction.                        
      i   kio-audiocd                                            - transparent audio CD access for applications using the KDE Platf
      i   kio-extras                                             - Extra functionality for kioslaves.                              
      i   kio-extras-data                                        - Extra functionality for kioslaves data files.                   
      i   kio-mtp                                                - access to MTP devices for applications using the KDE Platform   
      i   libkf5kiocore5                                         - Resource and network access abstraction.                        
      i   libkf5kiofilewidgets5                                  - Resource and network access abstraction.                        
      i   libkf5kiontlm5                                         - Resource and network access abstraction.                        
      i   libkf5kiowidgets5                                      - Resource and network access abstraction.                        
      i   libkio5                                                - Network-enabled File Management Library for the KDE Platform    
      i   qml-module-org-kde-kio                                 - provides integration of QML and KDE Frameworks - kio            
      ronw@gazp6:~ $

Comment

Good catch, ronw!

Both kio and libkf5kiontlm5 were missing. An apt-get install --reinstall of all the packages you listed fixed the problem with Gwenview, also the problem with the wallpaper chooser, and also the problem with being unable to drag and drop to the panel.

Edit: This also fixed the problem with the help system not working.

Two problems remain:

1. The problems with GTK icons remain. Specifically, searching for synaptic in Kickoff returs an item with no icon. Going to the Edit Applications function in Kickoff, Synaptic shows up with its icon on the left-hand list side, but in the right hand edit side, the icon is blank, and when I find the right icon and click Open, the icon remains blank.

2. The Get New... dialogs still don't work, though the error message has changed. It now says,
        Unknown Open Collaboration Service API error. (0)

Nonetheless, thanks for your help. This is an improvement. I suspect the other problems are similar -- a package got deleted or didn't install properly.
        Last edited by doctordruidphd; Apr 26, 2015, 02:59 PM.
        We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

#2 is likely this:

http://kde-apps.org/

We are down for maintenance.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
          We'll be back up as soon as possible. Please try again later.

Comment

I was having icon issues on Kmenu in my Arch install. I logged out, deleted the ~/.cache directory, logged back in and everything was back to normal.

I don't have Synaptic installed, but other 'gtk' app icons like Firefox and Chrome back to life.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. Deleting ~/.cache (and also /var/tmp/kdecache*) and restarting did not help the GTK icon problems.

I will try the Get New problem later.

Comment

I cannot get GTK icons as well. I thought it was fixed when changing the icon theme to Breeze but turns out it was just the Breeze theme having custom icons for some of those apps. Updating to 5.3 made blank icons appear which is as least not as bad. I tried deleting .cache but the blank icons still show.

(I changed my theme back to humanity since it seems more complete than Breeze at the moment, that's why you don't see Breeze icons in that screenshot)
                Last edited by Plasmating; Apr 26, 2015, 04:57 PM. Reason: Note about icon theme

Comment

The "Get New..." dialogs are working.

The only problems I am having now concern the icons that accompany GTK applications, which are blank. I cannot edit existing applications -- i can choose a new icon, but it does not appear in the edit menu. The same thing happens if I try to create a new entry -- the icons just won't take. This is a problem because I do use thunderbird, and can get no menu icon or panel icon to show.

Comment

Additional information on the missing icon problem:

If I bring up the Edit Applications menu in kickoff, and try to edit a GTK application such as synaptic that has no icon, I CAN add an icon if I use icons from the "System Icons" list. If instead I choose "Other Icons", then no matter what I try to pick, or where I browse, it will not allow the icon to be used -- it just goes blank.

Comment

Bug report...

... If instead I choose "Other Icons", then no matter what I try to pick, or where I browse, it will not allow the icon to be used...

Maybe this ? - Bug 346316 - Browse icon button in edit application no listed add icons: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=346316
                      Try Me !

Comment

Yes, that does seem to be the problem. I guess we wait for the upgrade.

Comment

Working...
                        X