Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I repair any file system problem with fsck?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I repair any file system problem with fsck?

I still haven't learned whether my Kubuntu iso is bad, even though the sha1 and md5sum hashs both check out ok. The Kubuntu Live DVD didn't have the normal 'Check this disk' feature, or, if it was there, I couldn't find it. And the Mint 17.1 KDE Live DVD did have it in the Install part. But at the end of all three runs of it, running really fast, in about a second, through a series/lines of commands that ended in simply 'reboot your computer,' with no report of the condition of the DVD at all, unless it was in that last command or two before saying to reboot the computer. Those last commands were run after an about 1-2 minute long wait, all the while having to stare at the command prompt so as not to miss those quick last lines of text. So it catches me by surprise, then appears and runs way to fast to catch.

So, I'm wondering if I can run a command like fsck to find and repair any file system errors.

are you saying the installation ran in text mode ?

even choosing install kubuntu instead of start kubuntu on the live DVD should have given you a GUI installer .

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

"even choosing install kubuntu instead of start kubuntu on the live DVD should have given you a GUI installer."
      It gave me the installer, but that didn't contain the 'Check this DVD' (or whatever it's called) option. As I said, the Mint one did, but the Kubuntu one didn't, and the Mint one ended badly; it didn't give a report on the condition of the DVD/software.

Comment

The DVD / USB boot straight into the GUI try or install screen by default. Try holding shift down while booting - that should give you the additional options menu.

The answer to your subject question is of course "no" because if a file has been deleted and overwritten with something it can't be recovered.
        If the checksums match, the iso image was fine; of course it could have had an error while burning to DVD.
        If you think there are errors on the DVD, fsck isn't going to help you.
        I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Thanks, SecretCode, that's exactly what I wanted to know. I love getting these answers, helping me solve some unexpected problems and some that I knew would just be part of customizing things the way I want. It's too late at night to try that again now; I'll do it tomorrow. Yes, I'm thinking that the optical drive may have messed up the iso, but that disk-integrity check should help with that. We'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by RLynwood View Post
            So, I'm wondering if I can run a command like fsck to find and repair any file system errors.
            Type fsck then press Tab. You'll see all available expansions of the fsck command, which indicates the filesystem types that can be checked.

Comment

More good info.

Comment

Working...
              X