This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updated KDE and now 7% less hard drive

A few days ago I updated KdE and to do so I had to install PPA_backports-precise/ppa. KDE updated to version 4.14.2 but in doing so it ate up another 7% of my hard drive. I removed the PPA but I am wondering where the extra 7% of hard drive went? Normally an update just replaces stuff.

Is there any way to know what happened and why I have less hard drive space? I am at 44% used and like to keep it down under 40%.

Sometimes the packages get a little larger. You might have several older kernels -- what's the output of dpkg -l | grep linux-? Finally, you can clean up some left-over packaging cruft with sudo apt-get --purge autoremove && sudo apt-get clean.

How big is your hard drive? This will give us a better idea of what 7% and 44% are. Also, storage is reasonably inexpensive. What's your goal behind keeping 60% of available space unused?

Comment

I know I have several kernels. I boot into 3.2.0-58.88 becuase it is the one that gives me the least video headaches. Hm? I haven't tried any other kernels since changing some Lightdm settings.

It is an old laptop, a kind of backup, something I use for minimal use (streaming music, browsing, etc.).

The HDD is 60 gig and I really don't plan on replacing the HDD. XP has a petition and there is still about 9 gig that is still free on XP.

I don't plan on putting much more on the Kubuntu partition, except maybe Wine.

Code:
      ii  ladspa-sdk                           1.13-1ubuntu1                             sample tools for linux-audio-dev plugin architecture
      ii  libselinux1                          2.1.0-4.1ubuntu1                          SELinux runtime shared libraries
      ii  libv4l-0                             0.8.6-1ubuntu2                            Collection of video4linux support libraries
      ii  libv4lconvert0                       0.8.6-1ubuntu2                            Video4linux frame format conversion library
      ii  linux                                3.2.0.79.93                               Generic complete Linux kernel.
      ii  linux-firmware                       1.79.18                                   Firmware for Linux kernel drivers
      ii  linux-headers-3.2.0-58               3.2.0-58.88                               Header files related to Linux kernel version 3.2.0
      ii  linux-image                          3.2.0.79.93                               Generic Linux kernel image.
      ii  linux-image-3.2.0-58-generic         3.2.0-58.88                               Linux kernel image for version 3.2.0 on 64 bit x86 SMP
      ii  linux-image-3.2.0-77-generic         3.2.0-77.114                              Linux kernel image for version 3.2.0 on 64 bit x86 SMP
      ii  linux-image-3.2.0-79-generic         3.2.0-79.115                              Linux kernel image for version 3.2.0 on 64 bit x86 SMP
      ii  linux-image-generic                  3.2.0.79.93                               Generic Linux kernel image
      ii  linux-sound-base                     1.0.25+dfsg-0ubuntu1.1                    base package for ALSA and OSS sound systems
      ii  pptp-linux                           1.7.2-6                                   Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP) Client
      ii  syslinux                             2:4.05+dfsg-2                             collection of boot loaders
      ii  syslinux-common                      2:4.05+dfsg-2                             collection of boot loaders (common files)
      ii  syslinux-legacy                      2:3.63+dfsg-2ubuntu5                      Bootloader for Linux/i386 using MS-DOS floppies
      ii  util-linux                           2.20.1-1ubuntu3.1                         Miscellaneous system utilities

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
      Sometimes the packages get a little larger. You might have several older kernels -- what's the output of dpkg -l | grep linux-? Finally, you can clean up some left-over packaging cruft with sudo apt-get --purge autoremove && sudo apt-get clean.

How big is your hard drive? This will give us a better idea of what 7% and 44% are. Also, storage is reasonably inexpensive. What's your goal behind keeping 60% of available space unused?

Comment

You could clean up some space by removing the two kernels that you don't use. Also run that second set of commands to obtain a bit more free space.

Comment

You could try a cleaner, like Bleachbit.
          http://bleachbit.sourceforge.net/
          I think many of us here us it (I do).

Some people might caution you against it. Just be careful: Do not let root clean any KDE; do not let user or root clean any temporary files (they clear out anyway when you re-boot; and some affect your .XAuthority -- permission to log in and such).

You could get Bleachbit (through MUON, I think), and simply look at what it cleans (like thumbnails and such) to get an idea where to free up some space. For example, APT, autoclean, autoremove, clean; Flash cache and flash cookies; et cetera.
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Ok sounds good.

I tried the newest kernel, the resolution was off when it booted. Now it won't boot with a correct resolution using the old kernel. Go figure This morning it started 6 times in a row, perfect each time. Now each time it is imperfect.

Booting into recovery mode and the screen is always correct except for the font situation.

I wonder what the recovery boot doesn't do that the normal boot does. Does recovery start nouveau?

Then I tried normal boot and now booted into the correct resolution.

Code:
            Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1280 x 800, maximum 4096 x 4096
            VGA-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
            LVDS-1 connected 1280x800+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 331mm x 207mm
               1280x800       60.0*+
               1024x768       59.9  
               800x600        59.9  
               640x480        59.4  
               720x400        59.6  
               640x400        60.0  
               640x350        59.8  
            TV-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
            When it looks incorrect the above resolution is 1024x768.

Not sure if this helps but here is the most recent xsession-errors

Code:
            Xsession: X session started for john at Thu Mar 19 20:14:34 EDT 2015
            localuser:john being added to access control list
            Setting IM through im-switch for locale=en_US.
            Start IM through /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/all_ALL linked to /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/default.
            startkde: Starting up...
            Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
            QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
            QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
            kbuildsycoca4 running...
            QDBusObjectPath: invalid path ""
            No outputs have backlight property
            QDBusConnection: name 'org.kde.kglobalaccel' had owner '' but we thought it was ':1.5'
            Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceAdded(QDBusObjectPath)
            Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceRemoved(QDBusObjectPath)
            QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No such file or directory
            QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /home/john/.kde/share/config/activitymanager-pluginsrc
            QDBusConnection: name 'org.freedesktop.UDisks2' had owner '' but we thought it was ':1.25'
            kded(1692) PowerDevil::Core::loadProfile: The profile  "AC" tried to activate "DimDisplay" a non existent action. This is usually due to an installation problem or to a configuration problem. or simlpy the action is not supported 
            kded(1692) PowerDevil::Core::loadProfile: The profile  "AC" tried to activate "BrightnessControl" a non existent action. This is usually due to an installation problem or to a configuration problem. or simlpy the action is not supported 
            kwin(1864): ""fsrestore1" - conversion of "0,0,0,0" to QRect failed" 
            QCoreApplication::sendPostedEvents: Cannot send posted events for objects in another thread
            QCoreApplication::sendPostedEvents: Cannot send posted events for objects in another thread
            QDBusObjectPath: invalid path ""
            plasma-desktop(1869)/libplasma Plasma::isPluginVersionCompatible: unversioned plugin detected, may result in instability 
            plasma-desktop(1869)/libplasma Plasma::isPluginVersionCompatible: unversioned plugin detected, may result in instability 
            Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceAdded(QDBusObjectPath)
            Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceRemoved(QDBusObjectPath)
            I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/home/john/.qalculate/eurofxref-daily.xml"
            I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/home/john/.qalculate/eurofxref-daily.xml"
            Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
            plasma-desktop(1869)/libplasma Plasma::PackagePrivate::isValid: Could not find required file mainscript 
            QGraphicsLinearLayout::removeAt: invalid index 0
            ========================>  7 0
            plasma-desktop(1869) MessageIndicator::adjustViewSize: No parentWidget for applet widget()! 
            plasma-desktop(1869) MessageIndicator::adjustViewSize: No parentWidget for applet widget()! 
            kded(1692)/Network Management (NetworkManager backend) ConnectionDbus::fromDbusMap: Setting  "802-1x" not initialized 
            kded(1692)/kdecore (trader) KServiceTypeTrader::defaultOffers: KServiceTypeTrader: serviceType  "SolidModemManager"  not found 
            file:///usr/lib/kde4/imports/org/kde/plasma/components/SectionScroller.qml:103: TypeError: Result of expression 'listView' [null] is not an object.
            file:///usr/lib/kde4/imports/org/kde/plasma/components/SectionScroller.qml:175: ReferenceError: Can't find variable: sectionsRepeater
            file:///usr/lib/kde4/imports/org/kde/plasma/components/SectionScroller.qml:103: Error: Cannot assign [undefined] to QString
            file:///usr/share/kde4/apps/plasma/plasmoids/notifier/contents/ui/devicenotifier.qml:224:13: QML QDeclarativeListView_QML_63: Possible anchor loop detected on fill.
            file:///usr/share/kde4/apps/plasma/plasmoids/notifier/contents/ui/devicenotifier.qml:224:13: QML QDeclarativeListView_QML_63: Possible anchor loop detected on fill.
            file:///usr/share/kde4/apps/plasma/plasmoids/battery/contents/ui/CompactRepresentation.qml:73:9: QML Column: Cannot specify top, bottom, verticalCenter, fill or centerIn anchors for items inside Column
            plasma-desktop(1869): ""min" - conversion of "-1,-1" to QSizeF failed" 
            plasma-desktop(1869): ""max" - conversion of "-1,-1" to QSizeF failed" 
            file:///usr/share/kde4/apps/plasma/packages/org.kde.systemtray/contents/ui/IconsList.qml:53:9: QML MouseRedirectArea: Binding loop detected for property "width"
            KGlobal::locale(): Warning your global KLocale is being recreated with a valid main component instead of a fake component, this usually means you tried to call i18n related functions before your main component was created. You should not do that since it most likely will not work
            X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
              Major opcode: 20 (X_GetProperty)
              Resource id:  0x260003c
            klauncher(1690)/kdecore (services) KServicePrivate::init: The desktop entry file  "/home/john/.config/autostart/xfce4-settings-helper-autostart.desktop"  has Type= "Application"  but no Exec line 

QDBusObjectPath: invalid path "/modules/muon-notifier"
            kded(1692): The kded module name ' "muon-notifier" ' is invalid! 
            Could not find 'nepomukbaloomigrator' executable.
            New PolkitAgentListener  0x1394ec0 
            Adding new listener  PolkitQt1::Agent::Listener(0x14e1810) for  0x1394ec0 
            No new release at this moment
            kmix(1960) GUIProfile::~GUIProfile: Thou shalt not delete any GUI profile. This message is only OK, when quitting KMix 
            kmix(1960) GUIProfile::~GUIProfile: Thou shalt not delete any GUI profile. This message is only OK, when quitting KMix 
              Resource id:  0x2600096
              Major opcode: 18 (X_ChangeProperty)
            console.error: 
              [CustomizableUI]
              Custom widget with id loop-button does not return a valid node
            WARNING: content window passed to PrivateBrowsingUtils.isWindowPrivate. Use isContentWindowPrivate instead (but only for frame scripts).
            pbu_isWindowPrivate@resource://gre/modules/PrivateBrowsingUtils.jsm:25:14
            QSqlQuery::prepare: database not open
            trying to create local folder /home/john/.kde/share/apps/kate/sessions: Permission denied
            trying to create local folder /home/john/.kde/share/apps/kate/plugins: Permission denied
            trying to create local folder /home/john/.kde/share/apps/kate/plugins: Permission denied

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
            You could clean up some space by removing the two kernels that you don't use. Also run that second set of commands to obtain a bit more free space.
            Last edited by urdrwho5; Mar 19, 2015, 06:34 PM.

Comment

One time I tried bleachbit and I guess I was too aggressive. A lot of things were found to be removable, I did so and the distro was killed. Maybe this time if I tired it again, I have more experience about what can be deleted and what shouldn't be deleted.

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
              You could try a cleaner, like Bleachbit.
              http://bleachbit.sourceforge.net/
              I think many of us here us it (I do).

Some people might caution you against it. Just be careful: Do not let root clean any KDE; do not let user or root clean any temporary files (they clear out anyway when you re-boot; and some affect your .XAuthority -- permission to log in and such).

You could get Bleachbit (through MUON, I think), and simply look at what it cleans (like thumbnails and such) to get an idea where to free up some space. For example, APT, autoclean, autoremove, clean; Flash cache and flash cookies; et cetera.

Comment

You have a good point.
                Fwiw ...
                In my 14.04 (and also for 12.04), this is my list of what I choose to clean and not to clean, as user and as admin (you may recall, when you get Bleachbit, you get two programs, one runs as you the user, the other runs as admin). Even with this conservative list, sometimes after surfing and downloads and such, I delete tons of MBs, like up to 500 MBs and hundreds (200-1200) of files:

Bleachbit

Don't clean any tmp files!

As User:

APT -- all
                Bash -- history
                Firefox -- everything except backup files and cookies
                Flash -- cache and cookies
                Gwenview -- recent docs list
                KDE -- cache, recent docs. NOT tmp files!!!
                Libre office -- everything
                Skype -- chat logs

System --
                Broken desktop files -- yes
                Cache -- yes
                Clipboard -- yes
                Custom -- yes
                Recent documents list -- yes
                Rotated logs -- yes
                Temporary files -- NO!!!
                Trash -- yes
                Thumbnails -- cache
                Thunderbird -- everything except passwords
                VLC media player -- most recently used
                Xine -- cache

As Admin:

APT -- all
                KDE -- None! Especially do NOT clean the tmp files!

System:
                Broken Desktop files, cache, clipboard, recent docs, rotated logs, Trash
                NOT tmp files!
                An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Well I got tired of the problems I was having and decided on a fresh install. It is installing as I type.

I will probably do the initial updates but not one kernel update..

I downgraded to 12.04LTS because the video issues 14.04 presented to me just drove me crazy. Until I started doing a lot of updates, I think 12.04 was running perfect, rebooting into correct resolution, etc.

I'm wondering if I want to install the Nvidia driver and override lightdm? Maybe I'll check it out before I get to far into getting the desktop set the way I want it.

I just have to shelve my penchant for trying to keep up to date.

The fresh install is done and I am sitting at 23% used on the HDD.

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                  You have a good point.
                  Fwiw ...
                  In my 14.04 (and also for 12.04), this is my list of what I choose to clean and not to clean, as user and as admin (you may recall, when you get Bleachbit, you get two programs, one runs as you the user, the other runs as admin). Even with this conservative list, sometimes after surfing and downloads and such, I delete tons of MBs, like up to 500 MBs and hundreds (200-1200) of files:

Bleachbit

Don't clean any tmp files!

As User:

APT -- all
                  Bash -- history
                  Firefox -- everything except backup files and cookies
                  Flash -- cache and cookies
                  Gwenview -- recent docs list
                  KDE -- cache, recent docs. NOT tmp files!!!
                  Libre office -- everything
                  Skype -- chat logs

System --
                  Broken desktop files -- yes
                  Cache -- yes
                  Clipboard -- yes
                  Custom -- yes
                  Recent documents list -- yes
                  Rotated logs -- yes
                  Temporary files -- NO!!!
                  Trash -- yes
                  Thumbnails -- cache
                  Thunderbird -- everything except passwords
                  VLC media player -- most recently used
                  Xine -- cache

As Admin:

APT -- all
                  KDE -- None! Especially do NOT clean the tmp files!

System:
                  Broken Desktop files, cache, clipboard, recent docs, rotated logs, Trash
                  NOT tmp files!
                  Last edited by urdrwho5; Mar 20, 2015, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Not sure if anyone is still following this but my new install is running fine. The Nvidia install went well. Browsing is faster but not sure if it is because I am using the Nvidia driver over Lightdm.

There are a bunch of updates that keep popping up at me and man.....I am so tempted. I just know in my heart that these updates may break this install. When things go bad I get weird grub instances, weird reboot resolution problems.

Hm? I wonder if the resolution problem would still happen if I have the Nvidia driver

Code:
                    [Download List]
                    libsmbclient
                    libkresources4
                    libkrb5-3
                    libkprintutils4
                    libk5crypto3
                    libkldap4
                    libreoffice-draw
                    libktnef4
                    libxfixes3
                    freespacenotifier