This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I remove a PPA

I wanted to install a newer KDE Version. I had to install kubuntu-PPA-backports. I would like to uninstall the PPA but I'm not sure how to do it. I imagine I wouldn't want to purge because that would also remove the newer version packages.

I won't go into the problems created with the newer version but I finally have it sorted out. The reason I no longer use Kubuntu 14.04 is because it caused a lot of video problems on my older laptop. Last year I remember starting with version 12.04, accepted an update to 13.10 and then an update to 14.04. Each time I updated the video problems increased and then at 14.04 I could no longer take it.

I uninstalled and re-installed 12.04 LTS.

I've had some kernel updates and with each kernel update some problems appeared.
    I am now booting into 3.2.0.58 and no video problems.

My real question is removing the PPA.
    Last edited by urdrwho5; Mar 17, 2015, 08:58 AM.

AskUbuntu - How can PPAs be removed?: http://askubuntu.com/questions/307/h...pas-be-removed

Ubuntu Community - Kubuntu Managing Repositories: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Kubuntu
    Try Me !

Comment

Thanks.

I did search before asking and tried some of those commands before but they didn't work. Maybe I was using the incorrect name of the PPA.

Error message - Could not find package list for PPA: kubuntu-PPA-backports-precise ppa

Originally posted by LinkBot View Post
      AskUbuntu - How can PPAs be removed?: http://askubuntu.com/questions/307/h...pas-be-removed

Ubuntu Community - Kubuntu Managing Repositories: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Kubuntu
      Last edited by urdrwho5; Mar 17, 2015, 09:11 AM.

Comment

sudo ppa-purge ppa:ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports

You use the same ppa:address format as when you added it, this can be found on the ppa's launchpad page

Comment

Ok --- will do.

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          sudo ppa-purge ppa:ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports

You use the same ppa:address format as when you added it, this can be found on the ppa's launchpad page

Comment

You need to install the ppa-purge package first -- that's where the ppa-purge utility comes from.

Comment

Originally posted by urdrwho5 View Post
              I wanted to install a newer KDE Version. I had to install kubuntu-PPA-backports. I would like to uninstall the PPA but I'm not sure how to do it. I imagine I wouldn't want to purge because that would also remove the newer version packages.

I won't go into the problems created with the newer version but I finally have it sorted out. The reason I no longer use Kubuntu 14.04 is because it caused a lot of video problems on my older laptop. Last year I remember starting with version 12.04, accepted an update to 13.10 and then an update to 14.04. Each time I updated the video problems increased and then at 14.04 I could no longer take it.

I uninstalled and re-installed 12.04 LTS.

I've had some kernel updates and with each kernel update some problems appeared.
              I am now booting into 3.2.0.58 and no video problems.

My real question is removing the PPA.
              are you saying that you want to keep the newer packages from the PPA but just remove the PPA from being able to do anything else?

if so ,,,,,,,,,,,ppa-purge is not what you want ,,,,,,,it(ppa-purge)will downgrade you to the versions of the packages that are in the repo's that are left in your /etc/apt/sources.list file and /ect/apt/sources.list.d folder .

if you just want it off the system but keep the files/packages that you got from it ,,,,,,,,,,just comment it out (add a # in front of the PPA 's entry the sources.list file )from the file it exist in.

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
              X