Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[LAPTOP] Kubuntu on touch-screen laptop?

I've just ordered a used Dell D520 laptop/tablet hybrid. It's coming with Windows 7 Pro, which would almost be tolerable (at the least, I'll make a backup of the Windows, rather than just erase it), but there'll be plenty of room to make it dual boot with some flavor of Linux. I'm already a Kubuntu user (14.04.1) on my primary desktop machine, and the "new" machines's specs, similar to my primary desktop system from two years ago, are adequate for Kubuntu with Core2Duo at 2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, and 120 GB HDD (though I might have to give up some of the eye candy, since I'm pretty sure it's not nVidia or Radeon graphics), and my reading suggests Ubuntu/Unity works very well on touch screen and KDE 4 works (though not as completely as Unity). Is anyone here running Kubuntu 14 on a touch screen? Does it work well enough for non-dedicated tablet operation, or would I be better off with Unity desktop?

I installed Kubuntu 14.04 on my Lenovo touchscreen. It worked great. Faster than the 8.1 it came with. Course, the4Gb ram may have slowed it some. Installed it on a 6gb machine and it ran better. I love it on my 16Gb machine, but that's not a touchscreen

Comment

My main desktop has been on Kubuntu 14.04.1 since June (previously Mepis 11), and seems adequate with a Core2Quad 2.7 GHz and 4 GB RAM; I believe the Latitude D520 has adequate specs (pending video hardware information) for my needs. I'm mainly interested in how well KDE handles operating in tablet mode. The reviews I've read have been lacking in detail...

Comment

Okay, I found this thread with some information about running Kubuntu on a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro; the Latitude D520 I have on the way is somewhat older than that machine, I think. It sounds, though, as if Kubuntu Active still isn't ready for prime time and vanilla Kubuntu doesn't deal with touch screens at all well. The D520 is laid out similar to the Yoga 2 Pro (screen folds back for tablet mode, rather than the fragile-looking swivel screen that covers the keyboard). Has anyone looked at the Kubuntu Active 14.10 daily builds recently? I don't want to have to reboot to Win7Pro to be able to use the computer in tablet mode (not least because I'd have to format the Linux data partition in FAT32 to make it accessible to both Windows and Linux).

Comment

Forget active. Try using the search and launch dekstop.

Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	642703

Comment

Well, apparently a false alarm. Though the machine came up in an eBay search for "laptop tablet hybrid", it's not a hybrid at all, but a conventional laptop/notebook. The screen doesn't fold back behind the keyboard, and there's no sign it's touch sensitive (though there's a conventional laptop touchpad) -- so it gets the KDE/Plasma desktop I'm used to. Got Kubuntu 14.04 installed and updated last night, and now I'm ready to start personalizing stuff. Still not a bad deal, $80 shipped for a laptop with usable specs, needing only a battery (available for under $15, it seems).

Comment

Ok, I am using Dell Inspiron 17-5759 Intel Core i7-6500U X2 2.5GHz 16GB 256GB SSD with Kubuntu 15.10 Wily.

1. My laptop has 17.3 touch screen. Kubuntu works great on touch. Very responsive, No calibration etc are required. I am not a tech person; I am a medical doctor by profession.
              2. Firefox is not touch friendly. So it would not work. I won't blame Kubuntu for that. So, I installed Chrome; and it works great.
              3. Touch feature is great on the screen to zoom, rotate, click etc. In any case I have my large keyboard with spacious touch pad - as it is 17.3inch laptop.

Feel free to ask if any specific aspects need to be addressed.

Comment

Working...
              X