Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[DESKTOP] Well, saying it again... why cannot we edit the "date box" in Kontact

I've posted this multiple times, and in multiple places, and I'm doing it again.

There is some kind of quote about one definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting a different result.

Yea, most "linux types" are not the kind of people who put calendars up on refrigerators.

However, a lot of them are academic/scientific types who DO put calendars up on the wall next to the door of an office or lab.

How come it is that I'm the only guy with a doofus calendar that has a copy of a scan of a week printout with squeensy dates etc. for my calendar.

Ummmmmmm everybody else uses Microshaft office or a calendar program and gets really nice professional looking calendars for the wall outside the lab.

Ok...........so..........let it be a given that there is some massive database thing that just will not allow of altering the dates on the printout.

THERE IS a function to import a "template"... apparently made in some kind of "QT designer"...

So........maybe there is some person who would make a "template" that allows one to import the calendar and have maybe a "box" at the top which overprints the regular dates wherein one can insert name and whatever.

Or............maybe it is just insanity to think that an app this mature should have this capability.

Woodtheonlyprofwithacheesycalendaroutsidethelaband everybodyknowsheusesLinuxsmoke

Linux printable picture calendar refrigerator office door

Ok, so I went on a search for "templates",

Turns out that the "templates" are not the kind of template that one would think, they are listings of dates for things like soccer matches, that one can insert into Kontact or whatever.

However, I did find at "apache"...Open Office calendar templates.

Some of these are done by "users" and some are done by corporations but are free to use non-commerically.

A company called Vertex has two calendars which are of interest for someone who wants a calendar on a fridge or by the office door.

I provide a linky, but the two of interest for me were: 2014 calendar blue portrait and 2012 photo calendar.

http://templates.services.openoffice...sort_order=ASC

They are odt spreadsheet files after downloading one merely needs to click the file and it opens automagically in L.O.

The date is automatically set correctly.

The photo calendar prints a picture on top half of a poartrait sheet and the calendar on the bottom half so it therefore has "half size day boxes" into which to enter stuff, but it does have a "click this it will disappear and put your pic here", so one can put the picture of the kiddes, or whoever, on the fridge along with smaller amounts of info.

The other one has "full size day boxes", so one can enter more information and also has a box down at the bottom right for "notes".

One can export as .pdf, open in GIMP, add a new layer and copy and paste an appropriately sized image into a selection box over that box. I used a pic of myself, of course, so that students would have a visual reference as to whose calendar is whose, .... lot of calendars, lots of classes...lol......

of course the department will eventually put one up, but nobody holds their breath.

One can edit the date for both by merely clicking and deleting the date and inserting one's own text.

So.................

One has to type the office times etc into Kontact and one will have to type them in here also.

They do not accept an ical or vcal or html file, but that's ok, at least it looks fairly presentable.

woodsmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Jan 12, 2015, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X