X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 14.04 freezing when I copy file to usb storage

Hi there
    When I want copy large file (1 GB) on Lenovo G-500 , mouse is freezing, KDE has lag and slowly. I use before ubuntu 14.04, fedora 20,suse all distu have same problem when copy lage file to usb storage.

Welcome.

Not unexpected. You're copying from the internal HDD to an external USB storage device. That is going to be slow, especially with large files. If you have a USB 3.0 port, and a USB 3.0 external storage device, the transfer speed would be faster.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thank for answer but my problem is not speed of copy. I test copy file on usb 3.0 and USB 2.0 port with USB storage 2.0 version. On all case mouse freezing and KDE is slow.

Comment

What are the specs on your PC? How much RAM? CPU type?
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Laptop Lenovo G-500 with cpu Corei3, Ram 4 GB, Hdd 500 GB

Comment

Is that bug of kernel?
            Last edited by Behrooz; Sep 01, 2014, 07:26 PM.

Comment

strange ,,,,,,I copy large (700MB-1.5GB) files from HD to USB quite often and cant remember ever having a lock up ,,,,,,,,but then again I'm probably not doing much more than web browsing wile doing the copy/transfer .

the next time you go to do a copy/transfer first open a konsole and run "top" look to see if something starts eating up CPU and or RAM and swap.

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

OK I will test

Comment

I'd have thought that for a disc-intensive operation to impact system responsiveness (mouse lagging...) your system would have to be swapping, so something running using all or most of that 4 GiB. Baloo (KDE's new file indexer) was reported to cause slowness for some in early releases of Kubuntu Trusty, but you report several distros with the same trouble, IIUC Fedora 20 and Ubuntu don't run KDE. kinfocenter -> memory will show the situation at a glance.
                  Regards, John Little

Comment

I record video from my desktop, please watch it.
                    http://www.mediafire.com/download/n5...8/freezing.mkv

Comment

I watched the video.
                      • My intuition about swapping was wrong.
                      • I think the load average at 8 or 9 is really bad. I couldn't see anything causing this.
                      • kazam is having a large impact, but I assume you're having trouble when you're not doing screen casts.
                      • What is EDCA-D596? Details, please. What file system is on it? Do you have trouble without this plugged in?

Sorry I can't be more helpful.
                      Regards, John Little

Comment

Hi
                        For kazam : yes when I don't use kazam problem is still available
                        EDCA-D596 is name of USB storage 16 GB, dolphin set this name to usb storage.
                        My file system home partition is ext4 and system file usb storage always is ntfs or fat32
                        I say point, I have Pc at home, I haven't any issue of copy file on it, this problem only available on my laptop.
                        What is normal value of load average?

Comment

Dose anynoe have ideasa for my problems ?

Idea

Comment

Originally posted by Behrooz View Post
                            EDCA-D596 is name of USB storage
                            I meant what type, brand and model of device is it. F.ex I have an Apacer 4GB USB stick, and a Hitachi Touro 1 TB USB portable hard drive. Is it using USB 3?
                            I suspect that Kubuntu is encountering severe trouble with that device. With the brand and model we can google for problems. I wonder also if the USB on your laptop has the problem; if so, it's driver in Kubuntu might be the cause of the trouble.
                            What is normal value of load average?
                            Just copying a large file, while watching it, I wouldn't expect more than 4, and some of that would be kwin and Xorg. The "load" is the number of things ("schedulable entities") on the run queue, ready to run right now, including waiting for IO.
                            Your laptop has 4 cores so in theory you're not running out of CPU and the ps display did not show any processes using much CPU (except for kazam, which was using a lot, but only about 1 or 2 CPUs). You might try running top, then press H (shows threads), F and select the Process Status field using the arrow keys, press s, Esc, R. That'll put the IO bound (D) and runnable (R) threads at the top, and I wonder what they are; there should be 9 if the load average is 9.

A few thoughts.
                            • Does df -h show any systems nearly full?
                            • How clean is the file system on the USB storage? Supposedly only windows knows how to check that, or fix it up; I'm sorry I don't know how to use windows to do that.
                            • I've seen a report of someone solving a similar problem by updating the firmware on the laptop. He (er, his name was Mark) had to use windows to do it.
                            • What does dmesg in a console show when you plug in the USB storage, and when you open it in dolphin, and when you do the copy?

I just found a long thread on bugzilla from 2012 and the problems they're discussing from about post #571 resemble yours closely. It started in 2009! https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12309 "Large I/O operations result in poor interactive performance and high iowait times". The BFS scheduler see wikipedia article is reported to fix the problem, but it has not reached Ubuntu. The wikipedia page says Manjaro Linux has BFS; if you've got Fedora, Suse as well as kubuntu you might try one more.

If I ask here about BFS, I'm not sure if anyone will notice, so I'm going to start a new thread about BFS.
                            Last edited by jlittle; Sep 09, 2014, 06:51 AM. Reason: defeat bowdlerization in URL
                            Regards, John Little

Comment

Thanks
                              I raised on kubuntu channel on irc and pepole there say " The 'problem' you have is that the CPU is waiting for IO. In the meantime it does nothing else. It's just waiting."
                              all my coversion on irc is this link . my username is aoa
                              http://paste.ubuntu.com/8299483/

Comment

Working...
                              X