Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

acroread/acrobat reader - them or a KDE thing ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

acroread/acrobat reader - them or a KDE thing ?

Currently using Saucy/13.10 (by accident - had some snags a month or more ago, no expert so fell back to the "windows user default" repair method and download/burn/re-install......didn't realise it was saucy until later on).

Anyway, it's working fine, pretty much.

Doing regular updates soas not to fall behind with the new/modified/repaired/whatever packages and I now get an error from synaptic that I don't know how to cure (not that I know much anyway).

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/acroread-bin_9.5.5-1precise1_i386.deb: trying to overwrite '/opt/Adobe/Reader9/Reader/intellinux/mozilla/prefs.js', which is also in package adobereader-enu 9.5.5
    Does anyone recognise this and know how too sort it out ?

I've tried looking at the /opt file, but there's no reference to which version of acroread it refers too. I've tried removing the i386.deb version referred to in the quoted error, but synaptic still tries to get/download it again when I run synaptic.

I have a version of acroread installed, but that tells me it's a different version (something like 9.5.5-04 and some other numbers, so presumably it is different).

I don't think it is affecting synaptic in any other way, just having to run it a couple of times until the only prompt/error is the one above.....

Any help would be brilliant, as this is just so annoying. Especially if you could explain it at "idiot level" (long time user with very limited management skills......)
    What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away! Tom Waits.

Most of us don't use Adobe products. Adobe generally sucks. May I ask why Okular doesn't work for you? Regardless, Saucy is still beta so you're going to have a few problems along the way. Just my opinion: but installing Gnome stuff isn't going to help much either. Sorry I don't have any info to help you.

Please Read Me

Comment

About Saucy

The Saucy is an ALPHA: http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...elease-caveats

The BETA will be released: https://wiki.kubuntu.org/SaucySalama...eleaseSchedule - 'August 29th'

About Acrobat reader & Saucy

- https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...d/+bug/1176131
      - https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/acroread

About the error

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/acroread-bin_9.5.5-1precise1_i386.deb: trying to overwrite '/opt/Adobe/Reader9/Reader/intellinux/mozilla/prefs.js', which is also in package adobereader-enu 9.5.5
      As the error message says - You are trying to install two packages: acroread-bin and adobereader-enu. Both packages are trying to install a file to the /opt/Adobe/Reader9/Reader/intellinux/mozilla/prefs.js. You can't do that.

This situation is usually a packaging error/mistake.

You could file a bug report (check existing first) and wait to fix.
      or
      You could choose between the acroread-bin and the adobereader-enu.
      or
      You could read the dpkg manual (man dpkg) and force the installation - If you think that it is a safe option.
      Last edited by Rog132; Jul 20, 2013, 09:24 AM.
      A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
      Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

Thanks for the responses, I'll just have to muddle along for the moment. I installed Saucy in error after having other problems with the system.

In truth, it's been good, even if it is still listed as being in Alpha.

I think I've managed to switch off third party repositories (not sure how to check other than graphically with synaptic.....

I did have a look at the bug listings for acroread that Rog132 posted, but I don't really know what I'm looking at. As I say, a long time user with little system admin ability......

Hey ho !
        What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away! Tom Waits.

Comment

If one's willing to take a risk you can always try a "sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite" followed by the location of the "deb" file.

Comment

sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/acroread-bin_9.5.5-1precise1_i386.deb

Comment

"If one's willing to take a risk..."

The better advise is "If you know what you are doing..." Using --force-yes is potentially dangerous:
              this is a dangerous option that will cause apt to continue without prompting if it is doing something potentially harmful.
              It should not be used except in very special situations. Using force-yes can potentially destroy your system!
              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
              X