This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opening Specific Documents in Activities

Quick question. Does anyone know if it is or will be possible (sooner than later PLEASE) to assign specific word documents and spreadsheets to open for certain activities? So far I've had no luck with LibreOffice and I haven't tried KOffice yet or Microsoft Word through Wine. It's possible with webpages so I don't understand why it wouldn't be possible with word documents. I'm trying to assign 4 specific word documents and a specific spreadsheet for a language learning Activity spread over 4 virtual desktops. It's a hassle having to open them up everytime and assign them to each VDesktop when I start the computer and KDE activities would be PERFECT for improving my workflow for this issue. Some KDE review I read mentioned it was possible for assigning specfic "documents" as recent as 4.6 . Anyway please tell me how if it is possible. I'm using Kubuntu 12.04 too in case that helps. Thanks!!!!

This feature is possible but only if the application supports it. All the activities do is restore the session of applications that where unique to them when they start, but if the application doesn't support sessions then all it can do is start the application. I don't know if libreoffice supports sessions, but allot of kde applications do so koffice might. I highly doubt the Microsoft office will support this through wine.

Comment

Originally posted by james147 View Post
      This feature is possible but only if the application supports it. All the activities do is restore the session of applications that where unique to them when they start, but if the application doesn't support sessions then all it can do is start the application. I don't know if libreoffice supports sessions, but allot of kde applications do so koffice might. I highly doubt the Microsoft office will support this through wine.

Thanks James that all makes sense. I'll post back once Koffice is done installing to let everyone know if it will work on that.

Comment

I discovered Koffice won't install on Kubuntu due to their disbandment so I tried installing Calligra and it didn't work either. Oh well . Good news though, I got a response from a KDE developer and this is what he had to say.

"Yeah... that is the ultimate goal, but the problem is (the main problem) is that I don't see libreoffice ever integrated with activities. KDE applications like okular, calligra and such - yes, eventually.
        As for linking the documents (documents, not document-in-an-application-window) to the activities, it is possible (one of the main features in Plasma Active, actually). There just is no UI for the normal Plasma Desktop to do that. (it is planned, but I don't know when it will be rolled out."

Too bad libreoffice won't be integrated, seems like all office software should work with KDE. At least Calligra will be and I would hope OpenOffice would too if Canonical cares anything about their Kubuntu distro. Anyway, not really that excited to hear documents will be linked to certain activities if they cannot open in application. We'll see where KDE is in a year, at least for now my laptop has 4GB of Ram so it can handle having a docs activity running at all times and I'll just put laptop to sleep so no need to shutdown.

Comment

More info here.
          Kubuntu 12.04 - Acer Aspire 5750G

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

Just so you know libreoffice is a fork of openoffice and calligra is koffice was renamed to.

Comment

Well guys and gals, you might find this post from Planet KDE quite informative
              ​"Keep it between the ditches"
              K*Digest Blog
              K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
                Well guys and gals, you might find this post from Planet KDE quite informative
                Thanks for the link. This is the guy who responded to me on the KDE website but I'm surprised he didn't tell me about this himself. Anyway, I don't have that Activity option when I right click on a document. I wonder why, I have updated everything. Does anyone know how to get that?

Comment

Originally posted by foxman09 View Post
                  Thanks for the link. This is the guy who responded to me on the KDE website but I'm surprised he didn't tell me about this himself. Anyway, I don't have that Activity option when I right click on a document. I wonder why, I have updated everything. Does anyone know how to get that?
                  I think it is a feature to be implemented for kde 4.9 or later. I don't think its in the current version of kde.

Comment

Originally posted by james147 View Post
                    I think it is a feature to be implemented for kde 4.9 or later. I don't think its in the current version of kde.
                    Ah of course, thanks.

Comment

Ya, it won't be active till Framework 5, according to a comment post by one of the developers.
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                      X