This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hints for stabilizing KDE experience.

This is not so much a question as it is a list of thing I have done that seem to stabilize the KDE environment.

In my experience, there have been 2 areas that have been unstable on my laptop running Kubuntu: nVidia video and kmail.

Video: since I changed from the proprietary nVidia drivers to the nouveau drivers things are rock solid. While I don't have ultra-fast 3-D graphics with the nouveau driver, I need stability more than I need fancy blurring and exploding windows. Plus with nouveau, I can use xrandr (not really usable with nvidia drivers) and have a scriptable interface to automatically detect when I have an external monitor attached to the laptop and adjust the resolution automatically.

Mail: I like kmail as my mail client. But, with the addition of akonadi, kmail had become extremely slow and unstable. I have to manage about 300 emails a day so "slow" is frustrating but "unstable" makes kmail unusable. Here's what I have done to stablize the experience in kmail.
    1. Turn off the option to load external references from the Security settings. After this, kmail made a huge step at being more stable.
    2. Manage filters in kmail, not through exchange. I set up a bunch of email filters in exchange and use kmail (through IMap) to access my email. When Exchange moves messages around, it seems to upset the akonadi processing. I turned off my filters in exchange and made another huge step in stability.

If others have suffered through some instability, perhaps these strategies might help.

Andrew

andystmartin

Those seem to be very good suggestions and I think that others will try them.

Thank you very much for a very useful post.

woodsmoke

Comment

nVidia blob 295.40 is known to contain regression bugs. Roll back to a previous version.

Comment

Working...
      X