This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Misspellings in holiday_(yourholidays) crashes plasma

My country is not among those 40 for which KDE bundles national holidays that can be used in korganizer and digital clock widget.

I thought, big deal, I'll make one myself then. And so I did. Created needed file in /usr/share/kde4/apps/libkholidays and entered holidays in it. But there I made a typo in one instance, typed "maj" instead of "may" and that caused black screen with only a cursor on next boot. Changing "j" to "y" fixed the problem. I am astounded that plasma is so fragile and couldn't deal with a trivial error IMO.

So, when fiddling with holidays, beware. It may not be the latest update that broke your desktop but something much more trivial.
    Last edited by rms; Apr 13, 2012, 05:38 AM.
    Ok, got it: Ashes come from burning.

lol,
    THAT is a VERY good post! really!

And...illustrative of both the Butterfly Effect and "For want of a nail a shoe was lost.... an empire was lost!"

Just a way kool post!

woodsmoke

Comment

I wish KDE devs to harden plasma and code some solid fallback routine. It's inconvenient that some widget that is not properly initialized can bring the whole desktop to a stall.

Comment

Originally posted by rms View Post
        I wish KDE devs to harden plasma and code some solid fallback routine. It's inconvenient that some widget that is not properly initialized can bring the whole desktop to a stall.
        Did you file a bug report? This wont get fixed if you don't

Comment

Originally posted by james147 View Post
          Did you file a bug report? This wont get fixed if you don't
          I didn't and don't intend to since I presume they are well aware that there's no good enough error handling in plasma. Perhaps they have more pressing things to attend to at this time.

Edit: failed to mention - Oneiric, KDE 4.8.2
          Last edited by rms; Apr 13, 2012, 12:09 PM. Reason: Additional info

Comment

I didn't and don't intend to since I presume they are well aware that there's no good enough error handling in plasma. Perhaps they have more pressing things to attend to at this time.

Edit: failed to mention - Oneiric, KDE 4.8.2
            Don't assume they are aware of the bug, you should look though the bug reports for similar ones, comment on it if you find one or file a new bug report if you don't. If they have more pressing issues then that is what the bug lists are for... a catalogue of all bugs that the devs can look though and fix in order of importance/easy of fixing.

Bugs will only get fixed if you tell the right people about them.

Comment

@james147

What's to report?

I've reclaimed my desktop and the holidays are now showing, see...

But seriously, from this incident I've got the impression that any widget can cause this.

I only wanted to forewarn the kind gents(and ladies) who frequent KFN to pay special attention if they are attempting something similar.

As for KDE devs, they most certainly have their own plans, what do they care if I wish for a bullet-proof DE. Who doesn't?

Comment

Filing bugs -- or even reporting incorrect behavior on the KDE forums -- does work. A number of times now, I've reported bugs that were subsequently fixed, often in hours or days. So don't underestimate yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                  Filing bugs -- or even reporting incorrect behavior on the KDE forums -- does work. A number of times now, I've reported bugs that were subsequently fixed, often in hours or days. So don't underestimate yourself.
                  It's Friday The 13th... I'll wait till tomorrow.

Comment

It's Friday The 13th... I'll wait till tomorrow.
                    When I was at Microsoft, I regularly traveled to Singapore. I always stayed at the Conrad hotel in the CBD. I loved the "embedded" 13 in the building's color scheme

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                      When I was at Microsoft, I regularly traveled to Singapore. I always stayed at the Conrad hotel in the CBD. I loved the "embedded" 13 in the building's color scheme
                      No wonder that tsunamis are hitting them...

Comment

Singapore is reasonably safe from tsunamis. Indonesia is at greater risk.

Oh, and once I was in Hong Kong during a signal 9 typhoon. Shut the whole island down, including the conference I was speaking at. I sat in my 65th floor hotel room (at the Conrad there, heh) and watched the storm blow through -- looked like I was right int the middle of it, didn't feel a thing

Comment

Working...
                        X