Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Idiot's guide to syncing files between computers?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idiot's guide to syncing files between computers?

I'm looking for suggestions to set up a easy to maintain system to sync files between computers.

For a while I used a company (who will remain anonymous at this point) that backed up my files to their servers, then made the changes to each computers.

This morning I noticed that files were deleted again. Fortunately, I had everything backup to yet another location so I'm back in business.

I'm terminated my deal with the company, and want to do it all myself.

I have three computers, two running 11.10 (Desktop and Notebook) and the third running 12.04. (Netbook)

What I want is for the pictures and documents folder of each computer to mirror each other.

The desktop is always on, where as the notebook and netbook are frequently without network access.

So I'd like a system/program that I could initiate at certain times when all three computers are plugged in to the home network.

In addition to mirroring files, I'd like to make sure that any directories that I delete will also get deleted from the other computers.

Any good GUI programs out there? Or is this something I'll have to set up via command line?

Also, I don't need storage in "the cloud", since I'll have three computers with all the same data on it. Plus total size of pictures and documents directories is around 30 GB

Although some extra work is involved setting it up, since your desktop is always on, you could set up your own ownCloud server. The advantage to that would be that you could access it anywhere you have an internet connection. You can also use it to synch between the desktop and the other computers.

EDIT: If you don't want to go that route, here is a link: http://www.linuxnetmag.org/en/2012-0...ynchronisieren to an article on using rsync.
    Last edited by vw72; Apr 06, 2012, 01:19 PM.

Comment

How about mirrordir?

Another way would be to install owncloud on your desktop.
      Last edited by oshunluvr; Apr 06, 2012, 02:42 PM.

Please Read Me

Comment

I'm liking the idea of this "owncloud" you guys are talking about! Gotta run for now, but will look into it Saturday.

Comment

For anybody who is familiar with ownCloud, I sure could use your help! (If this should be broken out into a separate topic I understand)

I've got the program installed on my desktop, and an admin account setup. I can access it by typing "http:/localhost/owncloud" into my browser.

But now I'm stuck, basically because I can't figure out how to add files to it!

I can add files one at a time using the upload button, but it says there is a 2MB limit.

And I can't figure out how to add the music to the music folder.

Any advice would be great, I like what I've seen so far of this program..

Comment

Did you log into mirall and add folders?

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
            X