This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lancelot: neat, but CPU hog?

Lately I've been using Lancelot rather than the usual Kickoff. I rather like its grouping style. Just now I was browsing through my entire menu structure -- dunno why, spacing out I guess -- and my fans kicked in full blast. top showed that Lancelot was consuming 99% of the CPU! Anyone else notice this?
    Code:
    steve@x1:~$ [B]apt-cache policy plasma-widget-lancelot[/B] 
    plasma-widget-lancelot:
      Installed: 4:4.8.1-0ubuntu1
      Candidate: 4:4.8.1-0ubuntu1
      Version table:
     *** 4:4.8.1-0ubuntu1 0
            500 http://mirror.anl.gov/pub/ubuntu/ precise/main amd64 Packages
            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

FWIW: My Lancelot is always at 0 CPU and around 33MB Memory. Something's wonkey somewhere with yours.

Code:
    ronnoc@ronnoc-desktop:~$ apt-cache policy plasma-widget-lancelot
    plasma-widget-lancelot:
      Installed: 4:4.8.1-0ubuntu1~oneiric1~ppa1
      Candidate: 4:4.8.1-0ubuntu1~oneiric1~ppa1
      Version table:
     *** 4:4.8.1-0ubuntu1~oneiric1~ppa1 0
            500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/backports/ubuntu/ oneiric/main amd64 Packages
            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    ​"Keep it between the ditches"
    K*Digest Blog
    K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

If you open a console window and run top, then just mouse around inside Lancelot and open some submenus, you don't see Lancelot run up to the, uh, top? Once I launch something or mouse away, Lancelot returns to normal.

Comment

I just tested mine using top whilst clicking through the menus...My CPU never went above 2 pct...but memory jumped to 1.1GB! As you said, it quickly dissapates once closed. Might be bug-report-worthy in any case.
        ​"Keep it between the ditches"
        K*Digest Blog
        K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

I don't see such issues here on 12.04, 64-bit, KDE 4.8.1. I have 2GB of RAM, and with Lancelot open, and activating and moving in/within/out of sub-menus, the Memory usage as a percentage of total doesn't go above 1.4%. CPU% might spike to 4+%, but that's all.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Best I could get mine up to was 2% CPU. Holding steady at 35,356K mem with 26,396 shared mem.

Please Read Me

Comment

If I open one of the submenus under /Applications, CPU usage climbs to 100% and remains there. And the submenu remains floating on my screen, even when the rest of Lancelot closes. I must choose an item from the floating submenu to both make that menu disappear and return CPU usage to normal.

Very weird...

Comment

In Lancelot Launcher Settings > Menu > Applications, do you by chance have Open popups for subcategories checked? (An EXPERIMENTAL FEATURE)
                Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                  do you by chance have Open popups for subcategories checked?
                  Indeed I do. After changing that setting, Lancelot no longer consumes 100% CPU. I was able to get it up to 39% once with lots of mousing around. But in general, resource-wise, changing that setting introduced a new measure of calmness.

Comment

Working...
                  X