This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HOWEVER oh great one.....

I started with four beuuuuuutiful papers from the stock repos.... and had the panel launcher on each of the four desktops.

Immediately that I clicked "activities" I got a menu that allowed me to get a template, or make an activity.

So, I made an activity called "music" and I populated the desktop with three music players.

At that particular time I still had my very pretty wallys on the four virtual desktops and the music players.

I then went back to the "thing that shall not be named" (because so many people don't like it) lol and clicked activities and this time chose to download a template. I chose "School" activity.

At that time I still had my pretty wallpapers.

When I clicked the School activity the wallpapers went away and were replaced with the stock opener wallpaper of blue rays emanating from the bottom right corner. (And BTW it is considered to not be "good form" to have a "line" running off the bottom corner, left or right, in "high art". ) But anyway... the pretty wallys went away.

Ok, I can handle that, I then went back to my music activity and the pretty wallys were GONE! : 0

Okaaay.....

To the "noob" this raises a FEW questions! Such as...

a) where did the original wallpapers go and why....
    b) WHAT ELSE is gone?

NONE of this has ever been explained by the cognoscenti anywhere on the net, at least as far as I have been able to ascertain.

So...

A) is the loss of the original wallpapers a "bug" or is it "just the way things happen"....?
    B) I assume from your previous to this post that nothing else has "gone away", is that correct?

woodpantinginanticipationsmoke

Comment

I am guessing that "gone away" means the loss of a background image altogether, or the change of background image to something else?

In either case it is a bug I'd say.

I have been inspired to blog on activities, but alas I finally gave godaddy the heave ho and am waiting for my domain (and blog) to resolve to my host.

But a simple analogy to tide people over:

Virtual desktops:
      You are sitting in a cubicle and have multiple monitors hooked up to your system, one on each wall (lol more or less). You swivel in your chair to view each screen.

Activities:
      After you have swiveled in your chair, you get up and move to a different cubicle, with a computer having a completely different setup, different widgets, background, etc. Then you can sit down and swivel and view each screen there.
      Last edited by claydoh; May 29, 2012, 09:41 PM. Reason: fixie the missing linkie

Comment

The basic stock Plasma Desktop layout
        Click image for larger version

Name:	activities_basic.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	639958
        Note the basic layout is just a single Activity

Added a new Activity
        Click image for larger version

Name:	activities.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	639959

Note that there is really no difference in adding an Activity in terms of virtual desktops. In Plasma Desktop, each Activity is a grouping of unique layouts, widgets, backgrounds and virtual desktops.

Apologies for my first-time Calligra Flow lack-of-skillz

Hopefully more to come on my blog

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          The basic stock Plasma Desktop layout
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]3328[/ATTACH]
          Note the basic layout is just a single Activity

Added a new Activity
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]3329[/ATTACH]

Note that there is really no difference in adding an Activity in terms of virtual desktops. In Plasma Desktop, each Activity is a grouping of unique layouts, widgets, backgrounds and virtual desktops.

Apologies for my first-time Calligra Flow lack-of-skillz

Hopefully more to come on my blog
          Dang! This is the first explanation of Activities that for me, actually makes sense. I will have to take time to digest the understanding before I can put it into my own words. But your simple graphics made all the difference for me. I am a visual thinker, and as the saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
            since I got hit by a pickup while riding my bike to work and my right foot got messed up. In really cold weather I have these silk, knee high socks that have threads of aluminium ribbon, like foil, stretching from just above the calf muscle down to the toes. They conduct heat from the calves to the toes.
            GreyGeek, my mother has a similar problem, would you be so kind to tell us enough details (like the manufacturer) about those high socks in order that people can buy them?
            Last edited by Ganton; Mar 26, 2015, 05:56 AM.

Comment

Ahh a spammer, methinks
              Last edited by claydoh; Mar 26, 2015, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                Ahh a spammer, methinks
                Perhaps not... join date of July 2012, and while not an active member, his/her other posts on the forum do seem relevant to the topics.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                  Perhaps not... join date of July 2012, and while not an active member, his/her other posts on the forum do seem relevant to the topics.
                  yeah, I had noticed this after seeing the necropost in another thread, but was late coming back from lunch break.

Comment

Thank you very much, people can see my writings in kubuntuforums, ubuntuforums, launchpad:
                    https://launchpad.net/~ganton/+karma
                    https://bugs.launchpad.net/~ganton/+reportedbugs
                    http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=372331
                    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/member.php?22514-Ganton

But using kubuntuforums.net... people can not send private messages to GreyGeek. So I have to ask him there for information to improve some health problems of my mother :-|

Comment

Originally posted by Ganton View Post
                      But using kubuntuforums.net... people can not send private messages to GreyGeek. So I have to ask him there for information to improve some health problems of my mother :-|
                      sure you can ,,,,,,,just click his name some where and select "privet message"

VINNY
                      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                      16GB RAM
                      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                        sure you can ,,,,,,,just click his name some where and select "privet message"
                        Thank you, I tried it again, but still it's seen the message "GreyGeek has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages". Anyone can try to go to
                        https://www.kubuntuforums.net/privat...o=newpm&u=9548

Comment

still it's seen the message "GreyGeek has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages".
                          Jerry has reluctantly reduced his time here on KFN to attend to some personal matters.

Comment

GreyGeek, my mother has a similar problem, would you be so kind to tell us enough details (like the manufacturer) about those high socks in order that people can buy them?
                            It's been about 15 years since I rode a bike to work. I checked my sock drawer and found them, but the brand name had worn off. I had originally seen them advertised for motorcyclists but in checking around for them I found a link to something that looks similar to what is laying in my lap.
                            http://www.amazon.com/Mens-Thermal-S...64V0H81ZTW5F73
                            Did I mention that they were sock liners, not to be worn alone, unless you are in bed and not out in below freezing weather?
                            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thank you very much, GreyGeek. You are very kind :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X