This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kde 4.8?

Last week I reinstalled Kubuntu 11.10. Update repositories, apt-get update and the dist-upgrade. That bumped me up to kernel 3.0.0.14 and Kde 4.7.97. Updated ropos yesterday and repeated the process. Now Kernel 3.0.0.15 and Kde 4.8.

Not meaning to sound like a jerk, but not seeing what the big difference in the KDE from version 4.7 TO 4.8. Actually don't see any difference at all. I've even been playing around with the effects and bling for a week now trying to be objective about the need for it. Just not seeing any performance increases or issues fixed that I haven't already worked through before upgrading. The only issues I had been having were with my keyboard and Kontact.

So was this basically a polishing up what was there upgrade, or am I missing something?

Originally posted by cavedweller View Post
    Last week I reinstalled Kubuntu 11.10. Update repositories, apt-get update and the dist-upgrade. That bumped me up to kernel 3.0.0.14 and Kde 4.7.97. Updated ropos yesterday and repeated the process. Now Kernel 3.0.0.15 and Kde 4.8.

Not meaning to sound like a jerk, but not seeing what the big difference in the KDE from version 4.7 TO 4.8. Actually don't see any difference at all. I've even been playing around with the effects and bling for a week now trying to be objective about the need for it. Just not seeing any performance increases or issues fixed that I haven't already worked through before upgrading. The only issues I had been having were with my keyboard and Kontact.

So was this basically a polishing up what was there upgrade, or am I missing something?
    This is waht the KDE announcement says about it.
    http://www.kde.org/announcements/4.8/
    Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
    Always consider Occam's Razor
    Rich

Comment

The KDE is standing on shoulder of the Qt. The Qt 4.8 was released: http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2011/12/15/qt-4-8-0-released/. By the Sebastian Kügler / http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/releas...ry/005450.html :
      So the verdict would be: [Qt] 4.8 is recommended (for all its improvements, fixes
      and better performance), but hard build dependencies in the source code on Qt
      4.8 are not allowed, until further notice.

Developers are encouraged to use Qt 4.8 for development...
      Here with the KDE/Qt 4.8/Kubuntu 12.04-alpha, the performance seems to same as with the KDE/Qt 4.7/Kubuntu 11.10 /1/.

Versions: http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...fo-Regenerated
      Last edited by OneLine; Jan 28, 2012, 12:10 PM.
      Have you tried ?

- How to Ask a Question on the Internet and Get It Answered
      - How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Comment

Read the announcement. I still don't see any big change from what it was. Actually other than the name change, nothing. It is running fine though.

Comment

On my 11.10 running KDE 4.7.4, all is as it should be. I would like to take the plunge and active the backports ppa and upgrade to KDE 4.8 except for one nagging concern: Kontact/Kmail. My Kontact/Kmail is fully and properly configured with Akonadi and it all works. KDE 4.8 would upgrade both to verison 2, and I'm not sure that wouldn't break my working Kontact/Kmail.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by OneLine View Post
            The KDE is standing on shoulder of the Qt. The Qt 4.8 was released: http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2011/12/15/qt-4-8-0-released/. By the Sebastian Kügler / http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/releas...ry/005450.html :

Here with the KDE/Qt 4.8/Kubuntu 12.04-alpha, the performance seems to same as with the KDE/Qt 4.7/Kubuntu 11.10 /1/.

Versions: http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...fo-Regenerated
            I have been reading where KDE is leaning to qml for the plasma environment. I kind of figure that from now on the push is going to be towards mobile and net based computing. I kind of expect to see things shift towards a more light weight and responsive touch and go environment, where the os on your device will only be the interface that allows you to function with the web based application.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
              On my 11.10 running KDE 4.7.4, all is as it should be. I would like to take the plunge and active the backports ppa and upgrade to KDE 4.8 except for one nagging concern: Kontact/Kmail. My Kontact/Kmail is fully and properly configured with Akonadi and it all works. KDE 4.8 would upgrade both to verison 2, and I'm not sure that wouldn't break my working Kontact/Kmail.
              I also use Kontact and Kmail. I also did the Calligra update. Prior to doing the dist-upgrade I had stripped KDE down to plasma -desktop and plasma-netbook. After upgrade I installed kde-full. Kmail and Contact are running fine. I only wish I could get rid of kwallet, but I get tired of typing in my email password all the time if I disable it.

Comment

Originally posted by cavedweller View Post
                That bumped me up to kernel 3.0.0.14 and Kde 4.7.97. Updated ropos yesterday and repeated the process. Now Kernel 3.0.0.15 and Kde 4.8.
                You are seeing little difference because 4.7.97 is a pre-release for 4.8 (alpha beta or rc) not actually 4.7...

However allot of the changes in 4.8 are backend stuff so there is little difference to see.

Comment

Originally posted by james147 View Post
                  You are seeing little difference because 4.7.97 is a pre-release for 4.8 (alpha beta or rc) not actually 4.7...

However allot of the changes in 4.8 are backend stuff so there is little difference to see.
                  I new 4.97 was pre-release to 4.8. I have actually been fighting with this and my wifes laptop since I bought them before Christmas. Been hoping that an update somewhere in the system cures a touchpad keyboard issue I have been having with anything based off Ubuntu 11.10. Doesn't mattger what ui I am running it has been there. If I go to a vanilla debian install, upgrade it to testing and put sids main repo in there is no issue. With anything off the Ubuntu branch of the tree including Kubuntu or Mint I have the issue. Best I have done was in Kubuntu to do a complete removal of ktouchpad(symantik) and the issue was gone along with some touchpad functionality. I was hoping that the issue might iron out with 4.8. No such luck.

Last night I installed Ubuntu back on the laptop. Did a complete removal of unity, added the cinnamon repo. Then sudo apt-get install cinnamon gnome, and then sudo apt-get dist-upgrade. Still sitting scatching my head wondering what the issue is. I think I might just have to sit back until Precise goes gold and see if the issues goes away. I have noticed that the built in sd card reader isn't working either. Don't know if there is a hardware conflict between the two going on.

Comment

Working...
                  X